Painting problem

Simon Finch

Hi all. 

I am a newby here so bear with me. 

I am on furlough at the moment so it feels like I have been painting anything that is standing still. 

Anyway, I have 2 painted wooden gates and not to sure what the paint was before as my wife painted them a couple of years ago. 

They are a mixture of rough and smooth timber. 

I put 2 coats of fence paint on them, but after a few nice dry days it rained and the some of the paint became wet again and started to come off when I touched it. 

The paint I put on was quite an old tin that had been opened before. 

I put two coats from a new tin of Ronseal fence line plus which is for rough and smooth wood. 

But after a couple of dry days again it rained for half and hour and the paint became wet again on touching it on both the gates (any ideas anybody where I am going wrong). 

The other one is, we have a summer house which has 3 doors on it and we're previously stained a couple of years ago. 

I read on the Internet to put normal paint on them I would need to prime them first. 

I put a coat of primer on the doors then the next day I put the first coat ronseal fence line plus on them.

A couple of days after I went to put a second coat on and again it rained in the morning and some of the paint was wet again on the doors when I touched it. 

Also when I tried to put a second coat on the brush was taking the first coat off back to the primer. 

Again, where am I going wrong. 

Thank you 

Simon 

Fence paint needs to penetrate the wood, in my experience it works best on rough sawn timber and less well on planed timber. As bassanclan said, if the timber has been covered with either a water-proof treatment or a primer the fence paint can’t penetrate and won’t dry. I suspect the guidance on use of a primer relates to normal paint finishes rather than fence paint.