Block and beam service ducts

DaveH

My first floor is block and beam with a habitable ground floor area below it containing kitchen and living space. What do I need to consider when running services between the floors - MVHR ducting, cables, pipes etc? I was thinking of casting some ducts into the floor in the appropriate areas (mainly above the utility/plant room) to run all the services through. Is this the norm? Obviously I will keep hot and cold pipes apart, electricity and data cables apart. I assume i will need some kind of intumescent seal in case of fire? Anything else to consider?

Thanks

Edited by DaveH

You don’t need to cast anything in place. 

If it is block n beam just core drill the holes as and when you need them, up until the point you screed upstairs you will be able to see the beams so easy to just drill where you need the services instead of trying to get it right and being a bit off, you will probably find screening upstairs will be a long way down the list of jobs so lots of time to get services in the right place. 

Thanks, there will definitely be a service void between the beams and the ceiling below but I was more wondering about the detail where things like cables will pass through. It will be easier for me to group rings and lighting circuits together and then pass them through the block in a group in a conduit/duct of some kind. And pipes for water supply, underfloor heating etc - should I sleeve them where they pass through the block?