Outside light modification

vfrdave

I have an outside light beside front door which we would like to add to our sensor system as well as have the existing switch.

Sensor system is a GJD so will provide a switched live to light from its wiring center which is easily done. 

The light switch will also provide a switched live so I don't want to junction box them all together and back feed to the GJD.

This is why light and electics planning is essential ?.

Is there some sort of relay or contactor that I can use to have a 2 switched live ones out scenario, with the switched lives being independent of each other?

Hope this makes sense.

You can get mechanically interlocked contactors. Thus you have two side by side but only one can ever operate.

You switch one contactor with one of your lives and the other contactor with the other live. Never can the two operate at the same time.

You can make your own up with two non interlocked contactors but you need a NC (normally closed) set of contacts on each.

Neutral required for the commoned up A2s.

Two relays. Live from say the GJD centre comes in and operates the coil of R2. But BEFORE it can do that is passes through the normally closed contacts of R1. Thus if either relay ever operate they break the live feed to the other

gjd_001.thumb.jpg.32a5d005807b8710320b41aaae117530.jpg

Just a single pole relay would do it. 

ordinary switch goes though the NC / common on the first pole so switch works as normal. Light is on common. 

Automation second live feeds the Relay coil and the normally open terminal. 

Automation then controls the light. 

downside is if you leave the switch on, the light is always on 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just a single pole relay would do it. 

ordinary switch goes though the NC / common on the first pole so switch works as normal. Light is on common. 

Automation second live feeds the Relay coil and the normally open terminal. 

Automation then controls the light. 

downside is if you leave the switch on, the light is always on 

How I showed is pretty much how we do it on hoist and traverse motors or anywhere where you have two opposing functions. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Two relays. Live from say the GJD centre comes in and operates the coil of R2. But BEFORE it can do that is passes through the normally closed contacts of R1. Thus if either relay ever operate they break the live feed to the other

gjd_001.thumb.jpg.32a5d005807b8710320b41aaae117530.jpg

So I can't get to the permanent live from the light switch as it is in a flat roof. The rest is accessible from roof space.

Can I use a permanent live from another light as long as they are on the same circuit/breaker?

• 2 months later...