Sliding Gates

Onoff

Started this for @Jenni who asked what I'd do different ref my sliding gate channel.

This was the original CAD concept:

g_001

The gate rolls on a commercial track bolted to the concrete base:

SAM_8423

SAM_8379

All the weight then is down on these rollers. I elected to have a "toes up" channel at the top to prevent the gate being lifted upwards. You can see though how leaves settle in this. No huge deal tbh just at certain times of the year I have to sweep / hose them out.

20191023_125138

20191101_161225

2019-10-24_11-37-33

If I did it again I'd likely uses a Helm track detail with a chamfered top to shed the leaves off. I'll sketch something up later.

Or maybe a cantilvered rather than tracked sliding gate! That's really cool. Has all the gate weight on one bfo post/pillar.

Pinterest is your friend for ideas.

6 hours ago, nod said:

Looks really smart 

Will do when it's all got a fresh lick of paint and the pillars are infilled with flint. Way to go still like with everything I do! 

IMG-20191103-WA0002

Might get laddo here to work out the geometry for the pillar caps so I can knock up some moulds.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Onoff said:

Started this for @Jenni who asked what I'd do different ref my sliding gate channel.

The gate rolls on a commercial track bolted to the concrete base:

SAM_8423

SAM_8379

All the weight then is down on these rollers.

Thank you Onoff, it's the bottom channel I'm particularly interested in, these photos are great, how do find it is with leaves / random stones down there? 

My concept is to use the slight slope and gravity, build a gateparallelogram gate that rolls either on a tongue as you have, or a simple wheel in a channel.

It would want to be at the bottom of the slope by default, therefore closed, and you just push it up the slope to open it. I have seen one before, even took a video of it in action, but can't seem to find it now.