Bungalow extension advice

Avenger68

Seeking advice on next steps in extending a family bungalow currently occupied by a housebound relative. We need to provide full-time care and want to extend the current bungalow so we can move in (see photos). The land to the side offers the possibility of a one storey extension and having spoken to our local planning department, there are no permitted development restrictions.

We require a minimum one bedroom space with own kitchen and bathroom (happy with open plan) and would live separately but adjoining to the original bungalow. The Council said we could possibly extend further out to the front within reason. The attic is too shallow to consider converting to a dormer bungalow.

Are there any other design possibilities aside from adding to the side and extending further forward to the original ? We are obviously looking to maximise space and given the odd shape available, I wonder if there are other options we’ve not considered ? 

421A3A33-D1E9-4858-B3F4-F36B08A94F6C.jpeg

9AC0A65C-AABA-4500-B061-11687FCC43DE.jpeg

2EC98C59-490F-47B4-923A-25B50BB5CBFA.jpeg

FA7FCC23-B229-4826-8DC2-75FE3452FE7C.jpeg

8D7B34FB-ED4D-4938-B68F-B0513A65E235.jpeg

Edited by Avenger68

To me that looks like the best option - but parking and other things will need consideration. eg Do you need a separate entrance? Take time to think especially about the way you will live together, with appropriate degrees of separation for each party and when you will spend routine time together.

For later reference, I did a series of detailed blog pieces about an accessible bathroom project.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

See how far they will let you go under PD - Don't forget that you could go backwards.

If your extension poked out the back, then you would get sun both sides.

I think the logical way to do it is to draw a line parallel to the neighbour boundary perhaps 1.1m from the fence (or whatever to avoid triggering a Planning Application requirement), then decide how far back you want to go, then see how it feels in a 3d simulation.

Removing the conservatory may be a good idea, or turning it into a room. It is a spacious plot.

Otherwise you will have a cold, dreary, dead space on the North side.

I would also take a SERIOUS look at whether you can do a land swap to give your neighbour a path to the back, in exchange for you getting the bottom RH triangular corner of his garden (where patio and part of shed are) to remove the "narrows" from your garden and get a rectangular rear garden. Think carefully before you talk to them - and make a vague offer initially (ie just raise the prospect) - because once you say something clearly defined it will set the basic terms. That will need talking about over time as it will take some weeks or months for both of you to reflect. But it looks like a big win - big win.

Ferdinand 

Edited by Ferdinand

I always say that the most important thing is not to rush, but make sure you have sufficient time and headspace to avoid not-quite-obvious mistakes.

In my bathroom case I had urgency as it was for my 80 year old parent to move downstairs, but still took several months to consider and talk to them.

It is affected by eg how old your relative is and how quickly you need to move, but the quality of the result depends on thinking time first. And nothing is quick in property. If you are building for 20 years of occupation, then it is worth thinking for 6 months to get it right.

Ferdinand