Quercus Ilex/Horn beam - not available

I was hoping to plant one of these as screening but suppliers tell me not available due to a DEFRA embargo relating to a pesky catapiler!

A suggested alternative is the Cork Oak - apparently not a problem, bugs don't like their bark or something.

My interest in the original choice was the tap root structure not critical but figures may have less long term impact if someone in future lets it grown out of control.

Any info I should be aware of in having the cork oak? Looks very nice though I doubt will see the nice bark for a long long time. Main criteria is 2m trunk with min 1.5m head that could grow to fill in a space between some other trees to screen my new driveway from neighbours garden as it may feel a little oppressive.

Reading through the details of the restrictions that are being imposed, and looking at online suppliers, it seems that you can still get Holm Oaks from some suppliers, as long as they are in an area free from Oak Processionary Moth: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/restrictions-on-oak-imports-introduced-to-guard-against-pests

I've used this online supplier before, and they were OK, and they seem to be able to supply Holm Oak trees: https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/plant/quercifs/quercus-ilex-full-standard.html

Just now, Jeremy Harris said:

Reading through the details of the restrictions that are being imposed, and looking at online suppliers, it seems that you can still get Holm Oaks from some suppliers, as long as they are in an area free from Oak Processionary Moth: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/restrictions-on-oak-imports-introduced-to-guard-against-pests

I've used this online supplier before, and they were OK, and they seem to be able to supply Holm Oak trees: https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/plant/quercifs/quercus-ilex-full-standard.html

Thanks Jeremy - they are actually the co I was working with but they are not able to supply out of their area unfortunately. Have tried a load of potential suppliers but nothing nearby available or from further afield hence thinking to take the option from Paramount for the alternate species. Maybe I could get them to deliver as far as they can and I collect from there!

13 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

Thanks Jeremy - they are actually the co I was working with but they are not able to supply out of their area unfortunately. Have tried a load of potential suppliers but nothing nearby available or from further afield hence thinking to take the option from Paramount for the alternate species. Maybe I could get them to deliver as far as they can and I collect from there!

That's a shame.  I've just tried our local supplier, Landford Trees, who are also pretty good (they supplied 9 of our trees), but they don't list it in their catalogue.  The restriction only seems to apply to trees with a girth greater than 80mm at 1200mm above ground level, from what I can see, so you could probably find a supplier that has smaller specimens, perhaps.

Appreciated Jeremy - we're not far from each other and I'd called Landford earlier as before I heard of the issue was planning to drive over and choose some trees ? The phone call saved a lot of time.

I was hoping for something that would deliver a decent amount of screening during this year so smaller girth I don't think will help me.

Any thoughts on the cork oak?  Seems OK, grows fast when young and slows down and is evergreen so may not really be a problem - especially if I did buy an expensive Ilex and find it was later a victim of the moth!