Moving heating and hot water demand from Gas to Electricity - SunAmp?

Keeko

8 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

There is a body of evidence that being colder prior to retiring to bed promotes sleep.

I discovered this during a recent holiday in a highly insulated new build holiday cottage, it was too hot at night and I spent the whole week trying to find the optimum time to turn off the central heating in the evening. 7:30pm was about right.

That experience has prompted me to revised my ideas about how to heat my new build. My latest thinking is to run the UFH with the thermostat set to 17 degrees and then use a few wet radiators to raise the temp to 20 degrees to create a nice healthy diurnal temperature graph. 

Sounds a lot of faff just to get a good night's sleep.  We manage just fine with no heating in the bedrooms.  They sit at about 18°C  or so, which seems to be about right.  Right now the bedrooms are sitting at 18.4°C, but I expect they will cool down slightly through the day, as the cooler air from the MVHR lowers their temperature a bit.  We find that the bedroom tends to gain about half a degree overnight, probably from body heat into the room.

The key to this was adding more acoustic/thermal insulation into the floor void than needed just to reduce sound transmission.  I fitted 200mm thick dense rock wool into the underfloor void for just this reason.  That seems to be enough to limit heat transmission upwards from the warmer rooms downstairs, as long as we keep the bedroom doors closed.

• 1 month later...

Hi Keeko,

Our house is all electric ( no gas on the golf course where we are ). We have just recently replaced our 2 x 5kW SunAmp PV’s ( somewhat troublesome ) with a Uniq12 (actually 14kWhr capacity apparently). Up to now very impressed. We have a 6kW solar PV  East/West split, an eddi solar switch (was Solar Cache also troublesome) and use E7 to top up Sunamp. So definitely sold on the SunAmp PCM technology. Your gas boiler could be used to charge the SunAmp Uniq12 of course! I designed our house to Passivhaus (PHPP) standards so not much space heating required. Zehnder Q600 MVHR with Comfocool unit added to provide summer cooling. 3kW electric duct heater (running at 2kW) plus 700W IR panel. Floor area 230m2, volume 700m3. No radiators other than towel rails, no UFH, no ASHP. An ASHP would reduce the running costs to around that of a Modern gas boiler. However our total energy costs (not just space heating and DHW) are around £1000pa. We could reduce that with a Solarwall/Moixa battery system but ROI not good. We only get circa 4.5p FIT for our PV (about £320p). So about £700 net energy costs in total. House temperature set to 20.5C. Comfocool keeps temperature <= 24C during summer. We use more power in summer keeping the house cool than heating in winter!
Anything I can help with let me know.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 11:05, Dreadnaught said:

There is a body of evidence that being colder prior to retiring to bed promotes sleep.

That will be a male body, then.  The evidence of female bodies disagrees.

• Haha 3