Air Source Heat Pump ENA

Mally

Hi,

I was applying for a quote for a new electricity connection to a plot I am in the process of buying on a windy part of Skye.

My plan is to build:

• A 4 bedroom house: single or 1.5 storey
  • Using a timber frame kit
  • Insulated to a high specification
  • With at least average quality glazing
  • With two en-suites
  • Measuring 170mapprox

I got to the page asking for information about the ASHP. I thought it would be easy to choose a model, add the model number, and usage stats into the SSEN application form. All things are not as they seem though.

I telephoned SSEN and learnt that they actually take the figures quite seriously and I need an ENA. They told me to call a supplier and ask for one. That sounds like it will introduce a degree of commitment I was not expecting at this stage.

There was me thinking it would be ages before I needed to think about heating, I'm still thinking over which timber frame kit to buy. And of course if the cost of supply for the electricity is connection is beyond budget, I may have to source another plot.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how to get an ENA, for a house that simply exists in my head at present.

Thanks in advance

Chris

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

would it be worth picking one that is larger than you need?

Not too large mind.

So say you need an 8 kW one, pick a 12 kW.

Probably.  I heat a similar size house with a 5kW ASHP, so if you said 12kW you would have covered a very worst case.

Thanks for such a swift response,

That sounds like my plan. However as they use the figures in their design, I may be getting a quote for more than I need. Also, they require the EAN as part of the application for a connection.

Edited by Mally

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes

PV = photovoltaic

ST = solar thermal

I am not sure how easy it is to go over the 16A per phase these days.  A lot of it depends on what else is connected locally.

Thanks so much for your input.

Don't spend too much time on it. What you will be offered will depend on what is available. My offer was only a relatively low power rated supply. I agreed knowing our energy use would be low and knowing if I asked for more, it would cost a lot more.

The reality is I get exactly the same supply as everyone else, with the same size cable and the same 100A main fuse, and I could if I needed draw all 100A  from it.  But I don't and I have no need to.

What worries the DNO about heat pumps is the high start current that may make the lights dim.  Totally a non concern if using an inverter driven heat pump, but there seemed to be no place to tick on their form to say it will be inverter driven,

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Don't spend too much time on it. What you will be offered will depend on what is available. My offer was only a relatively low power rated supply. I agreed knowing our energy use would be low and knowing if I asked for more, it would cost a lot more.

The reality is I get exactly the same supply as everyone else, with the same size cable and the same 100A main fuse, and I could if I needed draw all 100A  from it.  But I don't and I have no need to.

What worries the DNO about heat pumps is the high start current that may make the lights dim.  Totally a non concern if using an inverter driven heat pump, but there seemed to be no place to tick on their form to say it will be inverter driven,

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I've sent the enquiry away.