Hi ya'll

Harkonnen

Hello to everybody!

I would like to introduce myself. I am a guy living in Birmingham with my family. I can do quite a lot, some carpentry, general building, fitting, insulation and basic eleccy and I am generally good with machinery and tools. We were looking to buy an older house to renovate, put aside some money too but in the last few years, with the HS2 project looming and the general direction things are going, most of the houses in the city are out of our price range. Hence I started to look at the alternatives, to see if it's viable to find a derelict property and fix it nicely or get some land and build a dwelling. I hope I will find some useful info here.  

Welcome to the forum, plenty of reading to be done on here...... rebuilding / repairing old buildings seem like the cheapest way to go .......but in fact new build is often cheaper, quicker and you get what you want. I started out rebuilding and repairing two properties on my site ...... 7 years on.......... I really should have knocked down and started again...... but hay ho. I do all the work myself and I have enjoyed the journey but it’s come at a hell of a cost, both financially and personally. Anyway best of luck, read loads on here and learn, wish this site was around before I got to far down the Rabbit Hole.