Your thoughts on my ideas re PP

SiBee

Okay,

Would love some input on the following rambling ?

we are not in the position to complete yet but our offer on a 1950s bungalow has been accepted. It’s far from perfect for our wants and needs but we will have approx £100k cash to play with to make it so.

Is changing the orientation of the building a problem, from a planning point of view. To enjoy the views I would swap rooms around and the front door would end up at the side.

It has a double detached garage already to one side (slope and steps to contend with) and this would be rebuilt. How would planning view a request for another, additional driveway which would be on the opposite side of the plot to allow an alternative but level access. Thinking about avoiding using the steep steps in our later years and some friends and family have mobility issues too. So, can you have two separate drives?

looking at all the approved plans on the porta ,for other properties the recommendations always state that the appearance must be the same as the original building. Ours has a small extension at the back using a different brick and a flat roof and I can’t find any requests submitted for it. It looks fairly recent wit upvc windows and facia. If I plan to extend but also remove this eyesore,  does that effect the size of permitted development?

I keep reading that balconies are frowned upon but at least two nearby properties have them. We think some form of Juliet balcony would work for us on the loft room. It would replace a window which Looks out on to a golf course over a lane and not directly into other properties.

Approved PP for our area state the look of the original building must be maintained. What if I want to have a render finish or extend using ICF and brick slip of choice. Original look is rather dull.

Not in a special area just off a small rural lane in West Lancashire. Mixture of build types in the vicinity but we would extend in a sympathetic manner and will use an Architect or A. Technician for designs. Bordered by two properties who have both extended to the max. Next door have built on the boundary as much as possible. Their roof profile over hangs and the flue vents onto our wall. The other neighbour has a side window which you would expect to see have obscured glass but hey ho. Our owner was an elderly lady who didn’t like to complain. 

What do think and thanks in advance?

You need to look at permitted development on the planning portal website to give you a basic idea. A lot of your proposed ideas will be covered there, assuming it's not listed nor in a conservation area.

Other ideas you have will all be dependent on the specific location which I suppose you would want to keep quiet until it's in the bag!

8 hours ago, SiBee said:

[...]

Not in a special area just off a small rural lane in West Lancashire.

[...]

Ditto. Wyre Borough. You?

I ask because that makes a bit of a difference. 

8 hours ago, SiBee said:

[...]

Approved PP for our area state the look of the original building must be maintained. What if I want to have a render finish or extend using ICF and brick slip of choice. Original look is rather dull.

[...]

Look online at similar house re-modelling exercises like yours (LPA website). That will give you the best indication of the answer to that question. Then , when you've read the words, jump in the car and have a look at what actually happened. Time consuming - yes, but very very useful. It will inform your converstaions with the planners.

8 hours ago, SiBee said:

[...]

I keep reading that balconies are frowned upon but at least two nearby properties have them. We think some form of Juliet balcony would work for us on the loft room. It would replace a window which Looks out on to a golf course over a lane and not directly into other properties.

[...]

See suggestion above.

8 hours ago, SiBee said:

[...]

It has a double detached garage already to one side (slope and steps to contend with) and this would be rebuilt. How would planning view a request for another, additional driveway which would be on the opposite side of the plot to allow an alternative but level access. Thinking about avoiding using the steep steps in our later years and some friends and family have mobility issues too. So, can you have two separate drives?

[...]

And again, as above 

8 hours ago, SiBee said:

[...]

Is changing the orientation of the building a problem, from a planning point of view. To enjoy the views I would swap rooms around and the front door would end up at the side.

[...]

.... a simple map / plan  might help us to give more focused suggestions.

Lots of quiet fireside reading ahead, then.......