UFH in renovation project or not

lakelandfolk

Just investigating viability of retrofitting UFH in a 1990's brick built house. The house has concrete ground floor and standard 2.4 ceilings so wondering if a low profile wet system would be effective or would the thin level of insulation just allow the heat to disappear through the concrete. I would prefer to remove the existing concrete, lay 2-300 mm of insulation with new screed but wonder if the cost would be prohibitive. We have lived with UFH for the past 20 years and the thought of moving to a house without it would probably be a deal breaker.  Has anybody considered or done similar?

If you don't mind digging it's not hard. I've only done the one room as a "test bed" in a 1930s built place with the rest to follow. About 50:50 concrete / suspended timber floors here. I'll pm you the Flickr link. 

6 hours ago, lakelandfolk said:

I would prefer to remove the existing concrete, lay 2-300 mm of insulation with new screed but wonder if the cost would be prohibitive

It's also down to the type of boiler which is there. If it's not suitable for direct connection you may need to integrate a buffer to make it so. ;)

Breaking out and removing the slab isn't that much grief, just labour and muck-away intensive, but the resulting product may not be any more efficient unless you address the fabric heat loss ( draughty / Swiss-cheese esque build ) but if not too bothered then it's reasonably easy to achieve with a few quid chucked at it. 

Heat loss calc is essential as the radiators may be able to produce more heat than the UFH for each given room / space ( so beware of that ).