Plumbing in a new main - Simple?

Tin Soldier

Hi there,

Probably another ridiculous question, but I'll ask anyway

Old (private) water main is a copper 1/2" pipe that runs under my track  into from the pumphouse on the other side into the old kitchen,

Theres a stopcock under the sink connected into 15mm copper pipework that I assume routes to all the cold water outlets (as theres water at them) and the thermal store as its full of water.

probably about 6 months ago I ran a 32mm mdpe pipe under the track whilst I had the change, and terminated underneath the window where the new utility room sink will be, if it ever happens :)/

at the moment there is a washing machine there, which is supplied by 15mm pipe

so questions

1. 32mm through the wall or downsize before taking it through? 

2. Is it just a question of teeing in a stop cock to the 15mm pipe where washing machine is (as is a sink is there) and the cold water will magically find its way to the right place

3. do I need to worry about where about in the pipework it is connected to

4. the 4 m or so of mdpe has been there for 6 months, albeit capped - how best do I disinfect this before I connect everything up?

Edited by Tin Soldier

20 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Hi there,

Probably another ridiculous question, but I'll ask anyway

Old (private) water main is a copper 1/2" pipe that runs under my track  into from the pumphouse on the other side into the old kitchen,

Theres a stopcock under the sink connected into 15mm copper pipework that I assume routes to all the cold water outlets (as theres water at them) and the thermal store as its full of water.

probably about 6 months ago I ran a 32mm mdpe pipe under the track whilst I had the change, and terminated underneath the window where the new utility room sink will be, if it ever happens :)/

at the moment there is a washing machine there, which is supplied by 15mm pipe

so questions

1. 32mm through the wall or downsize before taking it through? 

2. Is it just a question of teeing in a stop cock to the 15mm pipe where washing machine is (as is a sink is there) and the cold water will magically find its way to the right place

3. do I need to worry about where about in the pipework it is connected to

4. the 4 m or so of mdpe has been there for 6 months, albeit capped - how best do I disinfect this before I connect everything up?

Seems about right to me.

A couple of points - I would bring the 32mm right in, the less joints the better, this also presumably lets you keep the 32mm pipe connection in an accessible place, ideally you would fit all the gubbins as it enters, in the correct order, NRV, stop-cock, drain off things like that, however, and I will be criticised for this, your old setup is probably just a pipe in, stop-cock then off to the rest. If so you could just replicate that as it works just now, your private water supply is just that, private. So, unless your involved in any work that building control are looking at and this is in that space then no one will ever give you grief. 

You will then need to cap off the old incoming section of the water pipe and the system will then just work in reverse from the utility.

For disinfecting the pipes... if it was capped, above ground and no ground water has go into it I would just hook it up and run off the water for 15 minutes near the stop-cock i.e. in the utility, so that water is not being dragged through your whole system.

Or I would stick a cup of bleach into the pipe, water it up and let it sit, then run off again.

Edited by Carrerahill

great thanks, all sounds non scary to me :)

I've already plumbed up the pumphouse opposite to change over to the 32mm so its a two minute job to disconnect from old pipe and connect to new one, and vice versa, so I could have just tried and see what happened but you know what like - better to ask

If I'm honest, I was thinking of just running the water through the pipe for a good while, and not bothering disinfecting, but wouldnt tell the wife that