Bora Pure v Bora Basic

mike333

We are having to put in a induction & downdraft extractor into our island, and so are looking at Bora. We are going for a ducting one as Building control are requiring it, and won’t sign off a recirculating one. 

Seen the Basic in action and seems to work well. Just wondered if anyone has see the Bora Pure and their thoughts on it? Is it that different to Basic. 

is it really worth the extra & £1000 for Basic over Pure, just to have the flexi pan option. 

Can someone set my mind at ease?!

cheers. Mike 

Hi mike, 

You can have a recirculating system but you just need a separate fan / ventilator in the room. Like a vent axia. I have a document to help advise you if you want. 

The Pure is a 4 zone induction cooktop extractor and has superseded the BORA Basic BI.  

If you require more than 4 zones then it will be the BORA Basic BFI . This will be then superseded around March next year for the X Pure. 

Just briefly the Pure or X Pure is quieter, has a better control system , has a minimalist design, grease filter with a integrated drip tray etc

To understand it better.... the Basic has been around for 4-5 years - the Pure is the brand new model. Like buying the brand new iPhone with all the latest tech & features. 

On 20/09/2019 at 17:54, Luke Salter said:

separate fan / ventilator in the room. Like a vent axia. I have a document to help advise you if you want. 

Hi Luke

yes that would be great. If you could send doc. Think I know what you mean, just struggling to find a wall to vent out, unless do through flat roof.  All to please BC. Although  can easily put in ducting as doing a new build, so thought better? Is the shelf height required for Pure under hob the same for a recirculating system, or do you need more space? 

was thinking of Basic because of more cooking zones, but wonder if really necessary? 

Which do you have? 

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Is the house having MVHR?

If so there is no requirement in BRs to externally vent an extractor at all, a recirculating one is absolutely fine.

Hi Jim,

No idea what is MVHR? Could you explain please. 

Our BC officer says we need some kind of vent, even if use separate extractor fan, challenge we have is having an external wall to put on, which we have none. Or could put on ceiling and vent through flat roof

i thought ducting it out would be better than recirculating anyway? 

MVHR is Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery, a very good way to reduce energy consumption by recovering wasted heat from ventilation.  Fresh, warmed air is fed to all "non-smelly" rooms, whilst stale, wamr and humid air is extracted from bathrooms, kitchen, utility rooms and WCs, some heat extracted from it and used to warm the incoming fresh air.

If you don't have MVHR, then it's mandatory to have extractor fans in the bathrooms, kitchen, WC and utility room, to comply with building regs.  In your case it seems that the extractor is going to be the one from the hob.  This will waste a great deal of heat in winter, as all the air extracted by the high rate fans in the Bora will be replaced by cold air sucked in through vents in parts of the house, but it's the only option if you don't have MVHR.