What to use on our new build house for a roof quandry

Claire Eason

Hi, we have been getting quotes for our house from various different suppliers.

We have Single Ply quotes which were expensive including installation and then we got a Tata Steel quote supply only which was cheaper.

But we cannot use Tata Steel on the whole roof as we need 5 degree slope and it we cannot have that much slope on the kitchen and roof terrace so we need to use the Single Ply.

So we are wondering if we could also install the single ply as well.

Has anyone tried to install Sika Sarnafil and is there a course you can take like tata steel which gives you the warranty.

Or are there other Single Ply anyone has tried and installed on their own?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this also brings up the question of "is there any difference between the different single-ply membranes?"

Our architect is keen on Bauder or Sika-sanafil, but they are eye-wateringly expensive compared to others available from general suppliers.

Is there any difference?

(I'm Claire's partner in the build above BTW - so the other one of the "two of us" she mentioned...! )

Compared to what others?  I have both sarna and bauder roofs.  Quotes ranged from £56K to £34k all by suppliers on sika's approved list, for exactly the same job (the spec is supplied by sika and then the roofing co' execute it, using most likely whichever freelancer they found available that held the appropriate ticket to work with that material).

So i'd say get multiple quotes as it seems price fluctuates wildly with motivation.