Terms for engagement of project manager

After a good deal of faffing around trying to find a suitable main contractor, I have finally found a project manager who appears to be a suitable fit. Rather than take on the whole build, he's initially going to manage the party wall agreements, demolition of the existing site, and excavation/ground-works. This is a reasonably major job as it involves constructing a basement and associated piling on a narrow plot. Ideally, if this works out, then we can move onto the main house build as a second stage.

I've met with the guy a few times now and have a good feel for him. He has supplied evidence of recent similar (larger) jobs and references, which I've taken up (only slightly feedback there was that his availability was stretched on occasion due to other jobs - something I have quizzed him about and will monitor carefully although I don't expect him only to be working on our job for the duration)

He's supplied rough costings and provided a schedule for the work and has now asked me to complete a Form of Appointment (from the Association of Project Safety) to formalise things. The rate he's charging seems fair (slightly less than 10%) and he wants to do this in monthly installments, which I'm not against, but I do feel as if there are things which I should be checking/ensuring.

Has anyone been in this situation and can offer any tips from experience on things that I should insist on? I've been told generally not to pay unless the work is done. I feel as though I should insist on a rough schedule for completion of certain items and make payment partly dependent on these being met. Any other advice gratefully received.

I think for the initial part of the build Basement and party wall 

It would unreasonable for him to be held to a schedule With so many variables that he may have no control over 

Though I would pin him down to how many hours he will be there each day 

Once the initial work is complete it will be much easier for him to give you an accurate schedule for the rest of your build  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Incipiens Mox said:

He's supplied rough costings and provided a schedule for the work and has now asked me to complete a Form of Appointment (from the Association of Project Safety) to formalise things. 

The APS is a self appointed membership body that is all around CDM2015. I’m assuming he is taking full liability for the requirements of CDM in this instance - has he suggested he provides a construction site plan as part of his work..?? If not, who is he advising will be responsible for CDM2015..?

• Like 1