what to line a plant room with

Alex C

I need to get my plant room lined (cupboard off the bathroom) so I can install the mvhr ducts and fix them to the manifolds. I won't be able to get at it to plaster afterwards so need a board that I can just paint or perhaps leave unfinished, and also needs fire resitance as it will form part of the ceiling on my upper floor. Any suggestions? Fermacell, supalux. Would be good if it also has sound deadening properties to stop any mvhr noise passing into the adjacent bedroom.

Agreed on the Fermacell, although if you can't use the fine surface treatment (maybe because of access) you may find it a bit rough-textured compared to plasterboard.

Be careful how close to the edge you use screws - even with the special screws they recommend, we had some splitting.

1 hour ago, jack said:

Agreed on the Fermacell, although if you can't use the fine surface treatment (maybe because of access) you may find it a bit rough-textured compared to plasterboard.

Be careful how close to the edge you use screws - even with the special screws they recommend, we had some splitting.

Agree with that on the FST - needs it really but the difference is it dries in 20 minutes ...

If it's all timber frame then you can staple rather than screw Fermacell to the stud work - just use resin coated 30mm staples. Less to fill as well than a screw head.