Accumulators External installation or other options

Alex

Hi All,

I've been told that to solve the issue I have I need to install an accumulator.

Basically if you're in a shower and someone flushes the loo and then turn on basin tap whilst cistern filling the shower pretty much stops!

The problem I've got is that I don't really have any space to accommodate a decent sized accumulator. (I've been told a 400/500ltr would be about the right size)

Does anyone have any advice on installing accumulators outside? or are there ones made specifically for external installation? I've googled but not come up with much so far so I thought I'd try you guys! :-)

Any / all advice or alternative options welcome as need to solve this quite soon as I'm getting loads of grief about it!

Cheers

A.

Our accumulators are outside, in a small insulated shed.  I added a small tubular heater under them, wired to a frost stat that comes on at 4°C, but I don't think the heater has ever come on.  In practice the high heat capacity of the water in the accumulators, together with the fairly high turnover of new water coming in at ~8°C, means that the risk of freezing is pretty low.

@Alex what are the options for rerouting pipework ..??

ideally you need a balanced hot and cold from a control set, and then prior to this you can tee off the toilets etc to a dedicated low volume flow. This can be done either with a restriction at the beginning or use Ballofix valves at each cistern to slow the fill. 

Do you have restrictors on the taps too..?? Can help if you put low flow heads on them as it doesn’t affect the shower as much. 

47 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Our accumulators are outside, in a small insulated shed.  I added a small tubular heater under them, wired to a frost stat that comes on at 4°C, but I don't think the heater has ever come on.  In practice the high heat capacity of the water in the accumulators, together with the fairly high turnover of new water coming in at ~8°C, means that the risk of freezing is pretty low.

thanks @JSHarris I'm assuming you've also lagged the pipes as the go into / out of the shed to house?

This would be an option as I have a space next to air source heat pump that won't be seen from any windows and the mains in to house come in just the opposite of the house wall at this point. Did you just buy a off the shelf shed an insulate it (floor/wall/roof) or did you build a custom one? Just thinking what might be easier/cost effective!

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Alex what are the options for rerouting pipework ..??

ideally you need a balanced hot and cold from a control set, and then prior to this you can tee off the toilets etc to a dedicated low volume flow. This can be done either with a restriction at the beginning or use Ballofix valves at each cistern to slow the fill. 

Do you have restrictors on the taps too..?? Can help if you put low flow heads on them as it doesn’t affect the shower as much. 

@PeterW pipework is all done so only options I have is in the small room where the cylinder is and which is where the mains comes into the house as house before it disappears off to bathrooms/wc/kitchen/laundry/etc.

Yes have restrictors on taps. I haven't thought about changing shower head though to be a low flow option... that would help a bit.

I think I will need the accumulator option though as have turf going down and will need to water that and that's going to play havoc as our outside taps are basically spurred off the kitchen and laundry room feeds.

I,m probably being thick 

I,m sure you will correct me

,why would you need an accumulator of 500litres-- and  by that  you mean a tank with a diaphram in it to keep pressure up as you use this stored volume ?

if your water  pipes in the house were of a large enough bore to start  with and    your water pressure  was high enough ,there would be no problem 

or is it a mains supply sizing problem as well.

stands to reason if you trying to tun 2 or 3 outlets supplied  by 15mm pipes then they need to be connected to much large diameter pipe so flow rate and pressure does not drop.

a 22mm pipe will not run 2 X 15mm at same flow as it can run one,so pressure will drop  --28mm pipe could --

not many will be using 28mm as ring main for cold or hot  supply in house 

EG large pipe with manifold where the 3 smaller ones come from -,not just teeing 3 outlets off  one 15mm pipe and expect them all to flow full at same time

a booster pump to lift your mains pressure in the house ? or just a  booster pump on the shower ?

Could  this just  be a function of the trend to use smaller pipes than people used to  use ,and because no one uses gravity cold water tanks any more

if you had toilets etc connected to a gravity  tank in loft there is no problem 

a good reason to use a rainwater harvesting tank and pump for toilets +washing machine+ garden hoses  etc

plus less metered water usage for those in England

Edited by scottishjohn

23 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I,m probably being thick 

,why would you need an accumulator of 500litres-- and  by that  you mean a tank with a diaphram in it to keep pressure up as you use this stored volume ?

if your water  pipes in the house were of a large enough bore to start  with and    your water pressure  was high enough ,there would be no problem 

stands to reason if you trying to tun 2 or 3 outlets supplied  by 15mm pipes then they need to be connected to much large diameter pipe so flow rate and pressure does not drop.

a 22mm pipe will not run 2 X 15mm at same flow as it can run one,so pressure will drop  --28mm pipe could --

EG large pipe with manifold where the 3 smaller ones come from -,not just teeing 3 outlets off  one 15mm pipe and expect them all to flow full at same time

a booster pump to lift your mains pressure in the house ? or just a  booster pump on the shower ?

Could  this just  be a function of the trend to use smaller pipes than people used to  use ,and because no one uses gravity cold water tanks any more

a good reason to use a rainwater harvesting tank and pump for toilets +washing machine+ garden hoses  etc

A 500 litre accumulator will store a bit less than 250 litres of water, as accumulators are sized on total volume, and a bit over half the volume is air in the bladder.

We have two 300 litre accumulators in parallel, just because a 500 litre one was to large a diameter to fit in the space we had available.

37 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I,m probably being thick 

as @JSHarris said above the sizing is to get around actual capacity of around 200 to 250ltr. this would give me about 15 mins (ish) where we could be running 2 showers at the same time plus the odd basin/kitchen tap. Key goal is catering for morning rush when kids are getting ready and we're also trying to get going at the same time.

the main plumbing runs are all 28mm and then drops down to 15mm in each bathroom for cistern/shower/basin.

I have 32mm MDPE coming in from mains.

I have 15lpm @ 2.8bar incoming from mains.

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

adding a pressure boosting pump  could be cheaper and simpler to fit  than a large accumulator ?

worth checking out

Still needs an accumulator on the pump output, plus, if connected to the mains water supply it must be fitted with a means of ensuring that the pump cannot reduce the pressure in the supply pipe (to comply with the water regs, for obvious reasons associated with contamination risk).