harry_angel

Members
  • Content Count

    92
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

9 Neutral

About harry_angel

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Yes after speaking to a planning officer I am going to just have to suck this cost up. We had a subtext-filled conversation (of the non exciting variety) whereby to my gentle query about whether we would achieve PP for a full dwelling, she said that (as suspected) a planning app to build a new dwelling in green belt (regardless of whether a building of equal size had been granted) would be viewed in an entirely different lane to a change of use app for what is already there. Or, in other words, I have to build the damn thing first in order to significantly increase my chances of getting the real goodies on the other side.
  2. @Big Jimbo you hit the nail on the head. Tile producing must have some decent profit margins for there to be so many producers!
  3. Hi can anyone identify these floor tiles? We badly need to match them...have tried various tile matching services and no joy. Tiles are 45cm W / 68cm L. Any thoughts much appreciated.
  4. We have one of those maddening, tightrope-like conundrums where there is no easy answer, so this thread I guess would ideally be a poll of sorts. basically we have PP to demolish 2 outbuildings and build a large home office in their place. We also have full PD rights. our planning strategy (over time) HAD been as follows: Home Gym > Change of Use to Granny Annexe (under PD, with Cert of Lawfulness) > Change of Use to Separate Dwelling (PP app) however, we are now staring down the barrel of the c. £25k VAT bill on assembling the "home office" structure, which of course could be avoided if this were constructed as a full separate dwelling from the outset As I see it we have 3 options: stick to the "softly softly or lily pad" planning strategy and simply suck up the £25k VAT bill in the spirit of strengthening our planning position over time blow our cover with the council and steam ahead with a full "separate dwelling" app, putting all building works on hold (of course this app may be approved, rejected, approved at appeal or rejected at appeal) persuade our builders to post-date the invoices, start both building and the separate dwelling planning app simultaneously, and then (hopefully) the timing works out whereby we're granted approval and the structure is well on its way to being finished If anybody else has other ideas for a way round this I would love to hear them. And also would love to hear which option you would take. Clearly the problem here is that this isn't £5k, or even £10k....it's £25k. And also we will lose our slot with some very good builders if we delay.
  5. In the words of Unlucky Alf from The Fast Show: "bugger".
  6. @Temp Answers to your Qs: the span of the rafters is 2750mm, and the membrane under the titles is not vapour permeable...(this tiny extension bit was built in 1950)
  7. Thanks will check re rafters and membrane and loop back!
  8. You mean $1 per cubic centimetre?! Wow. At least if anyone shot at or took a flamethrower to your loft you'd be safe...
  9. Hi, we have a section of our loft conversion which we are desperate to have signed off by the BR inspector. There are a few obstacles to this however: he may insist on thicker/deeper rafters (they are currently 4 x 2s) even if he doesn't insist on that, he may insist on 6" Celotex insulation If he insists on either of these, it renders the space quasi-unusable (it's right on the borderline right now). So my question is: I think BR doesn't hinge on depth of insulation but rather quality/U rating, is that right? If so is there any super insulation type product out there which won't bring the roof down further (ie. beyond the 4x2s) but nonetheless hit the required rating?
  10. @Jilly yes, SEs over-engineering is an understatement! I get it, their primary driving factor is to avoid getting sued but still, c'mon.... Good luck with yours, I am just keen to know exactly how the buck-passing would play out, if it came to that...and also how acrimonious said buck-passing would be (ie would we have to lawyer up to get one of them to step up...)
  11. We are attempting a loft conversion which, speaking freely, has divided opinion among both tradespeople and structural engineers. Some have said: "you're going to need multiple cranked steels up there" (pushing the cost up to prohibitive levels), others have said "it's already stood for 100 years with a 350kg water tank up there forcing down, it'll be fine by doubling up all the joists, strengthening this, securing that etc". Ultimately we've found a structural engineer who'll design it without floor steels but with flitch beams. His ltd company has been in business since 2012. Likewise, we have a well known building regs company willing to sign off on said drawings. Finally, obviously, we have our own buildings insurance. With some of the sceptics' words ringing in my ears, I want to take this to the worst case scenario: we convert this loft, gradually it pushes out the eaves or something, causing damage to load bearing walls and, generally, The House. Can anyone explain what happens next? We see mahoosive cracks appearing in the walls or something bowing dramatically and then we.... - call the structural engineer and his insurance covers the repairs cost? - call the building regs guy and his insurance covers it? - call our own insurance, show them the hard evidence that we engaged professionals BEFORE undertaking these works, and they then cover it? What are the pitfalls? Where are the booby traps? I mean, I badly want this loft space (it's going to be an amazing f/t study), but I'm not completely stupid, I don't want to wreck my house doing it... Any thoughts most welcome.
  12. Yes, we have an overall cost for the project and a breakdown of all the costs - so if there are changes or additions they will be added to that, since everything is itemised. I've just paid £2k today and said we'll see how progress goes next week. We have genuinely had some delays due to different tradespeople within the team miscommunicating with each other, on more than one occasion, so I feel justified not giving full amount this week. I can tell the pressure is on me to pay next week though! Next time though, I will definitely do as you suggest - payments based on stages completed / signed off by BC. We have a much bigger project coming up, so at least I can apply this lesson to that! Thanks for your help
  13. Oh yes, we have a fully itemised quote with costs throughout, so we're clear on that part. It's £22k and we will have paid £8k after 2 weeks work, and this is how he has asked for it to continue - at £4k a week. We acknowledge that there are upfront materials costs, and a lot of money goes on the initial building, but it just seems like a lot to have every week without fail 'to pay the guys' and not leave much at the end. We're so used to paying for the bulk of the job at the end when it's finished satisfactorily...