some sort of adhesive to fix studs to stone walls

scottishjohn

1161536689_johnshouse.jpg.dec63cb1247fabf7546ac109e0ac7fd8.jpgJ1836983788_johgnshouse2.jpg.b7bd3f8e6894f22e74563716cefe9d50.jpg

just plotting my next build and it may well be  an old granite shell

which i will build a new house inside 

so it seems that pur closed cell foam to seal inside of wall seems possible ,but I was thinking of attaching studs to the wall as well then 2L2(foil+bubbles) over these studs as another vapour barrier#

so the question is does anybody know of something that can stick studs to walls ,which will act as a DPC on the studs and then allow frame work to built up on them at same time , 

roof loads  will be on the outer walls 

the water in the walls will have to evoporate ,over time ,out of the top of the walls ,as it was pointed 50years ago with granite sand +cement, no roof for last 20 years  --not a crack in sight ,even though we have 8-10"diameter  by   25ft tall trees growing out of the bottom of the walls in 2 places where the walls meet the ground 

open to other suggestions 

the outer walls are so perfect it seems a crime to knock it down and build a totally modern thing.its built on bedrock so no worries about foundations .

maybe i,m thinking wrong  ,maybe just re-roof it build interior framing with 50mm gap to walls  ,then closed cell foam all the walls and around the studs as well ?

these pictures are from 1970 -- its a lot more "bushed up" now

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

I understand what you say ,and sort of agree ,but as its had no roof for 20years + and the walls look same as they do in the pictures even now after many winters ,then i am fairly certain the walls are very free draining or frost would have burst them by now if they were not

i am trying to keep the inside as large as possible  and keep wall thickness to below 3foot !!

suggestions on how to make the new inner wall water proof on the OUTSIDE ,  next to the stone wall when you can only get at one  side is the problem 

hence the thought of using closed cell spray foam as a layer on it  and leave top of wall open and vented to outside 

16 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

But it's also had as much ventilation as possible - sealing up old buildings never really works that well as a strategy, definitely wouldn't consider a filled cavity on a building like this in scotland.

It's pretty easy to build kit panels and lift them up into place with building membrane on the outside surface, if you have ventilation you don't need an impermeable surface on the wall

how you going to seal each panel to next one -for certain ,

long way off yet anyway -just throwing ideas about .

you are probably right -will need to look at how to get drains and things in anyway before any final decision is made

-the knee jerk reaction is flatten and start again -,but time to some extent to build is not a problem,other than my age .LOL

i certainly have the workshop space to prefab things off site and  thoughts are to put another floor /viewing lounge on the top to take advantage of the views

still trying to get it bought at this time 

Edited by scottishjohn