Cost effective whole house ventilation for a refurb

gravelld

We're changing our windows and I'd rather go with no trickle vents and have an actual ventilation "system" rather than relying on air pressure to ventilate the house.

Before I go into the details, some constraints:

- This is a refurb and people are living in the house

- I can't afford HRV

- I don't want the disruption of ducting

- I don't like the concept of PIV - pushing out moisture laden air through holes in the fabric does not sound like a good idea

Our current air permeability (before new windows) is 5.8 m3/hr/m2 @ 50Pa.

Our floor area is 285m2, five bedrooms.

We have seven wet rooms (1 x kitchen, 1 x utility room, 2 x toilet, 3 x bathrooms).

My reading of the guidelines in the AD is that we need to provide a minimum l/s of 85 l/s on a m2 basis. If the units provide 12l/s that almost covers it. Is the calculation that simple?

I've been looking at units like these:

https://www.vent-axia.com/range/lo-carbon-solo-plus-selv (the HT version to ensure ventilation goes up when humidity does)

I also believe Nuaire have similar units.

Are these units suitable for continual extraction and will seven of them (for each wet room) be "good enough" to meet the demands of BC? 

This may or may not be acceptable to you.

I use a PIV combined with fans with a continuous + boost mechanism for the extraction rather than through the gaps. That seems to work for me in being robust to whatever tenants do.

Can post more info if required.

Ferdinand