Just Finishing our 2nd New Build

DRPotter

We are just approaching the end of our 2nd new house build in 18 years and having past 70 yrs during the process, I think it will be the last one. However in searching for away of compiling our VAT claim on a spreadsheet, rather than doing it manually, we came across this website and felt it looked very interesting, so hello Buildhub.

Welcome! We have a VAT sub forum with lots of posts about how to claim and what to claim for. It’s able to be viewed by regular posting members (10 posts or more). HMRC have been tightening up recently and refusing a few claims where people have moved into their property and then finished off so do be aware of the scenarios if that applies to you. Here is some background reading. HMRC appear to have lost at least one case at tribunal so hopefully they may start to assess cases as they did previously again. 

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=54370&sid=eca1972cd041dd1a8f442fc27698bdf4

22 minutes ago, DRPotter said:

We are just approaching the end of our 2nd new house build in 18 years and having past 70 yrs during the process, I think it will be the last one. However in searching for away of compiling our VAT claim on a spreadsheet, rather than doing it manually, we came across this website and felt it looked very interesting, so hello Buildhub.

Welcome to the forum. We've just completed our first self build and am approaching seventy and we definitely won't be doing another one.

7 hours ago, newhome said:

Welcome! We have a VAT sub forum with lots of posts about how to claim and what to claim for. It’s able to be viewed by regular posting members (10 posts or more). HMRC have been tightening up recently and refusing a few claims where people have moved into their property and then finished off so do be aware of the scenarios if that applies to you. Here is some background reading. HMRC appear to have lost at least one case at tribunal so hopefully they may start to assess cases as they did previously again. 

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=54370&sid=eca1972cd041dd1a8f442fc27698bdf4

Thanks for this, having had a quick look through it I can see that their is some useful advice worth reading. I'll have a more thorough look later.

Regards

Dave

7 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Welcome to the forum. We've just completed our first self build and am approaching seventy and we definitely won't be doing another one.

I would love to use the knowledge gained from these experiences and build another one but, to quote what I believe Ringo Star said on his 65th birthday, "It's only my body that's this old , in my mind I'm still 21"

Unfortunately my body just won't cope with the work, hence I fear this will be the last one.

• Like 1