Bluetooth Ceiling Speakers

I think @JSHarris has a set of Bluetooth ceiling speakers, Jeremy?

Tbh I was just looking for an excuse to drill more holes in the ceiling! :) Saw these on S'fix  (for which I have a £20 voucher) but they don't get the best reviews:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/istar-12302r-wireless-bluetooth-speaker-ceiling-kit/9921R?

I like the idea of smaller, discreet speakers like the ones above that'll fit in "downlight" sized holes. A little worried about them maybe lacking bass as one review suggests. I'm not expecting hi-fi but don't want a tinny sound.

On eBay the prices on this sort of thing have come down dramatically, half of the S'fix one even with the discount:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitchen-Bathroom-Wetroom-Bluetooth-Wireless-Amplifier-2-x-5-Ceiling-Speakers/183011004542?

Just wondering if anyone has a set similar?

(Secretly I don't think I'll ever fully trust cheap Chinese electrics like this. A part of me thinks they're designed on the limit and a mass over-voltage event the day the Grid is hacked will see thousands of fires across the UK and bring us to our knees! :) )

• Like 1

Yes, I bought a set from Ebay, with "water resistant" speakers.  They work better than expected, TBH, although they only get used for streaming Radio 4 into the kitchen (which seems to use up what little "broadband" we have).   They look very similar to that Ebay link, the amplifier unit looks identical.  The speaker grilles on mine are just white mesh, but otherwise look very similar.  My only slight complaint with them is that they make a series of beeping noises when they connect and disconnect from a Bluetooth advice, which gets really annoying after a while, but other than that they work fine.  It probably helps that the ceiling cavity has 200mm of rockwool sound insulation in it.

The only other thing I found was that the speakers were intended to fit to a thin bit of metal or GRP, so I needed to cut some bits of ply and glue them on the upper side of the plasterboard ceiling for fixings, as the fixing holes are too close to the edge to take any normal sort of plasterboard fixing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1