Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've just built a new SIPs extension which has a cantilevered section supported by a glulam post. The post is currently untreated. It will have windows installed either side of it in the next week, so 2 faces of it will end up inside, and 2 faces outside. I was going to paint it, but the paint shop recommends I leave it unpainted until next summer when the weather is better, otherwise the moisture from the air will get trapped and the paint won't adhere properly. Common sense suggests that I should put something on it to protect it over winter. I can cover it up with a breathable membrane over winter to stop it getting wet, but is there a better approach? 

 

With hindsight I should have asked the SIP installers to paint it before the install, but it's too late now and I'm going to have to do the best I can with it in place.

 

thanks.

Posted

Our glulams went in during the January we painted them the back end of the next spring. No additional protection. All good, two coats of Jotun Demideckk. Well worth the money - 5 years later all good still in a very sun exposed area.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...