Kitchen Extraction to External, Flat Ducting

MasNovice

Hi all, I wonder if you could guide me, due to a terrace, we have to use flat ducting to go round a nib, through to an extension wall for the external ducting.  There will be 5 lots of 90 degree turns for the ducting to take.

I'm looking at Luxair to gain the most powerful Airflow rate of approx 500 m3/hr , as the width of the canopy is between 51cm and 54cm.  Would it be correct I will gain some level of extraction I'm looking for from steam and smells?  The Kitchen is open plan at approx 6m x 5m.

Thank you so much.

The important bit about extractor missed by many is the importance of the distance the hood is away from the pans. The further you are away the harder the fan has to work (as in higher the m³/h). Look at the instructions and set it the minimum acceptable. It will then work better at lower flow rates.

To put flow rates into perspective 500m³/h is replacing the whole air contents of a 100m² house twice per hour.

A small dMEV fan and the hood on recycle mode instead of extract, may do a better job overall. For normal day to day cooking you would not need to use the hood at all, only for smelly stuff.

12 hours ago, JohnMo said:

The important bit about extractor missed by many is the importance of the distance the hood is away from the pans. The further you are away the harder the fan has to work (as in higher the m³/h). Look at the instructions and set it the minimum acceptable. It will then work better at lower flow rates.

To put flow rates into perspective 500m³/h is replacing the whole air contents of a 100m² house twice per hour.

A small dMEV fan and the hood on recycle mode instead of extract, may do a better job overall. For normal day to day cooking you would not need to use the hood at all, only for smelly stuff.

Thank you JohnMo, so this makes sense, (keep close to the hob) so for the smell extraction is there a model you would recommend? 

It sounds like a lower airflow rate 302m³/h is fine, I would just want one which is easy to keep clean!

Thank you

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Nothing to recommend.

But look at noise also that varies between makes and models.

Ok thank you, could I just clarify, is it correct I don't need to focus on Airflow so much, even though I have so many turns?