Lime based parge coat

ab12

Need recommendations for products which will satisfy lime based parge coat requirements for bare bricks on external facing wall upon which breathable insulation will be fixed.

Will plasterers who are accustomed with gypsum be able to work with lime or does it require a specific skill set?

I have a plasterer in mind , very experienced with gypsum. He mentioned has worked with lime once last year so not sure what to make of this.

Thanks for your help

19 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I have used the Baumit products for years. A colleague parged his whole house with their RK38 plaster. The plasterers were delighted: 'It trowels just like Bonding!'

Thank you RedBeard. Whats your opinion on using NHL 3.5 for parge coating? Have seen this being mentioned by a number of people.

Is there a difference between RK38 and NHL 3.5

I dont have muck knowledge of lime plaster products so please overlook my ignorance.

A lime plaster made of say 3: 1 grit-sand or plastering sand and NHL 3.5 will be fine. Non-plasterers (such as me) will find it heavier and not as sticky, and plasterers who have only ever used gypsum just won't be used to it. RK38 has the advantage of feeling lighter and 'behaving' a bit like a gypsum base-coat ('Bonding plaster').

• Like 1