Advice Needed: Removing Thick Adhesive and Overboarding for Vinyl Flooring Installation

dawsonhousehold

Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of a DIY project and could really use some advice. I'm removing old tiles that were laid down with a huge amount of flexible adhesive – it's practically like concrete! The tiles are breaking into dozens of bits because they’re stuck down so well. The floor was also overboarded, and in some places, I’ve managed to lift the overboarding, revealing the green moisture-resistant subfloor beneath.

I'm about 70-80% of the way through lifting the tiles, but the remaining adhesive is so thick that scraping it back feels like an impossible task. I’m concerned about causing unnecessary damage to the green subfloor if I continue trying to lift all the overboarding and scrape the adhesive.

I plan to lay vinyl flooring with its own underlay after this. My question is:-

• Would it be better to stop removing the overboarding and instead have a self-levelling screed applied over the remaining adhesive and overboarding before laying the vinyl?
  • Has anyone had success with this approach for vinyl floors?
  • Any tips or considerations when working with this much adhesive and a subfloor like this?

I’d really appreciate any advice or experiences you can share!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the input, I haven’t seen one of those before. I see, I can hire one of these "pictured" however we are saying remove the flexible adhesive with one of these then try my best to get the boards up without damaging the subfloor. I dare say I could get it into the on-suite. it’s just a small room with probably 2 1/2 meters of floor in total, I probably could just wield that round...

8797662150686.jpg