Borehole UV water treatment

Kuro507

I'm just moving to a house here in the UK with a private water supply, it will need a UV upgrade to meet current recommendations.

My understanding is that the UV is permenantly on and typicaly the bulb lasts 12 months (9,000 hours).

This particular system has a pressurised vessel to reduce strain on the borehole pump.

I did some basic tests and could see that the pump controller worked very well at maintaining pressure (as seen on the gauge). If the presure dropped to 3bar, the pump kicked in and raised it back to 4bar, then went off - hen repeat as required.

Would it not be possible to link the UV lamp to the borehole pump controller, so its only on while the pump is pushing more water into the system? Even if the UV stayed on for 30 secs after the pump stops, to take care of any residual flow)

I could even install a timer of some kind, to monitor the UV lamp run hours.

Thoughts?

Sorry it makes no sense, the UV light is last thing in the system. Pump start logic is a lagging indicator, as pressure vessel is the supply, the pump tops up the pressure vessel.

You are over thinking, they are designed to stay on, not switch on off a few thousand times a year. You will pay more for bulbs and monitoring than you save in energy. Plus there is a heat up time, as it requires to heat mercury to emit the UV light.

• Like 1