Aluminium Windows: Profiles & Suppliers - idiot's guide

Piers

We're in the process of getting quotes for aluminium windows and doors but I'm finding the sheer number of window profiles quite overwhelming. I'm struggling to understand how to attach a value to the different elements of the window. It probably doesn't help that window suppliers seem to give conflicting advice along with their reputation for impaired honesty.

The suppliers that we've gone to have quoted for Cortizo and only seem to supply one or two profiles in any case. I'm aware of other brands/profiles such as Schueco, Aluprof, Reynaers and can see that they make a range of profiles of differing quality/performance. I gather that Schueco have the bext reputation and also are the most expensive. But beyond that I have no idea how to assess what constitutes a good value unit. I'm looking for an idiot's guide on how to assess whether I'm getting bang for my buck.

Also, if anyone is willing to share the little things that they regret about windows they've bought. It'd be very helpful to understand the small nuances of windows such as opening mechanisms, life-span of gas fillers, issues installing etc - basically the stuff that doesn't show up on a data sheet.

• Like 1