Small house using I-beam portal frames

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

There were no beams used. A picture paints a thousand words, so

I-beamFrame.jpg.d9f297120afcfb828b1d59204518e8e5.jpg

IIRC the joining pieces were 18mm ply both sides, glued and screwed. I think the roof angle has to be around 45 degrees to prevent spread. I am not a SE though, so could be wrong about that, it was many years ago.

I think that was the picture that set me thinking down this route. It's all your fault!

I wasn't sure that your portal frames might have had some beams or columns placed afterwards. I wonder why use 18mm ply both sides, when it was bonding onto presumably something like a 9-12mm thick web. From what I've seen in images about joining I-Beams, the joining plates aren't meant to go from flange to flange, but leave a few mm spare at the flange that is likely to be compressed under load. I think I saw that in the JJI booklet.. Not that I'm telling you how it should be done! Obviously, you've done it and it works. Just speculating on why it is the way it is. Wonder if 9mm OSB both sides might do?

And it looks like the glue used both to attach the flanges to the web and the joining plates to the beams is the foamy polyurethane glue. I've used that a lot in boat building and have never seen it fail. Under stress and for a few years. But I was wondering if I might use Cascamite or something similar for the I-Beam construction, for more proven durability. Maybe foam will do!

Thanks for this.

48 minutes ago, pir8ped said:

I think that was the picture that set me thinking down this route. It's all your fault!

🤣

48 minutes ago, pir8ped said:

I wonder why use 18mm ply both sides, when it was bonding onto presumably something like a 9-12mm thick web.

They were Steico I beams which were 45mm x 300mm. The web was 9mm which left 18mm each side, so the ply plates ended up flush with the flange. I didn't have any say in the construction of the frame which was done by the SE and the TF company.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gone West said:

🤣

They were Steico I beams which were 45mm x 300mm. The web was 9mm which left 18mm each side, so the ply plates ended up flush with the flange. I didn't have any say in the construction of the frame which was done by the SE and the TF company.

That's settled then. I'm using a structural engineer. Yours! Cheers.