VAT Supply & fit vs supply only

Just planning new build at the moment. I'd prefer to purchase big tickets items under my own name with a trade discount for future vat reclaim and then zero rated install by tradesman. If I give couple of specific examples for battery storage. Givenergy All in 1 can be purchased through outlets such as midsummer wholesale with a discount, but new Tesla Powerwall 3 can only be purchased via a certified installer, who is quoting an end price for fitting which of course includes their purchase cost, vat and delivery. In other words how can I get a better price when that is a supply and fit charge?. Thanks

1 hour ago, IanB said:

Just planning new build at the moment. I'd prefer to purchase big tickets items under my own name with a trade discount for future vat reclaim and then zero rated install by tradesman.

That's fine if you get receipts in your name for the reclaim. Some trades might not like it as they try and make money on materials they supply. 

1 hour ago, IanB said:

If I give couple of specific examples for battery storage. Givenergy All in 1 can be purchased through outlets such as midsummer wholesale with a discount, but new Tesla Powerwall 3 can only be purchased via a certified installer, who is quoting an end price for fitting which of course includes their purchase cost, vat and delivery. In other words how can I get a better price when that is a supply and fit charge?. Thanks

It should be possible to persuade companies that do "supply and fit" (Windows, Kitchens, Plumbers, Painters etc) to zero rate everything to you. This is in VAT 708 paragraph 11.2 and 13.1 it includes a lot of things. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/buildings-and-construction-vat-notice-708

However many suppliers don't know the rules. If you get stuck write to them asking for a new quote showing zero VAT because its a new build. If necessary provide a "certificate" that certifies their supply is for a new build and quote all the details such as planning reference number.

Check the list of what HMRC consider is normally incorporated in a new build. I have a feeling the rules are different for batteries? 

Edited by Temp