Fitting and removing stove and black enamel pipe from fixed double wall flue

Hello,

I'm building a house in Greece, and need some help understanding how a flue system can be designed so that a wood burning stove can be inserted at a later date, and removed if necessary.

The "normal" way it's done here is to have a 1.5m enamel pipe that returns through 90 deg then enters a concrete chimney - made out of concrete chimney blocks. A hole is made in the chimney at the correct height for the enamel pipe, and a rosette fitted. The final section of horizontal black enamel pipe can be pushed all the way into the chimney, the stove fitted in place, then the enamel pipe pulled back to connect to the enamel pipe from the stove.

But for various reasons I need to use double wall flue that runs up the wall outside.

I’ve looked at designs used in the UK, and have seen two ways to design a flue system for a wood burning stove where the flue will run up the outside wall.

- The first is where the black enamel pipe from the stove goes up 1.5m or so, then bends through 90 degrees for a short distance to mate with some double wall flue that comes in from outside and is flush with the inner room wall. The double wall flue starts with a 90 degree t-piece outside the wall, and the flue then rises vertically from this. A variant of this is a 45 degree bend in the wall and a 135 t-piece outside, the advantage being that there are two 45 degree bends so less resistance to smoke – but also more of a path for tar to come inside.

A seeming advantage of this approach is that if the stove has to be changed at some point, or the double wall flue is built in advance of a stove being present, the stove and enamel pipe can be fairly easily detached/attached from the double wall flue – by sliding the stove away from the wall. Perhaps not as easy as it might sound, as the stove is very heavy.

- The other way is where the stove’s black enamel pipe's connection with the double wall flue occurs vertically (or semi-vertically if a 45 degree bend is used). How can the stove enamel pipe be removed at a later date? You can’t lower the enamel pipe to detach it from the first double wall section, as the stove is at the bottom of it and preventing downwards movement. Do people use an adjustable length section of enamel pipe? The double wall flue has to be fixed so it’s flush with the inside wall, and it will be boxed with concrete board outside.

My basic question is how can the stove (which has a top flue connection) be fitted to the black enamel pipe after the double wall flue has been built, and what is the best option of those above?

Thanks in advance!

David.

Edited by David00
Formatting

In the UK I might take the twinwall all the way to the stove to make life easy. You’ll almost certainly need a telescopic section anyway and this is most useful just above the stove. V important to ensure the stove/twinwall join is airtight, of course. Does that work for you?

Edited by Alan Ambrose