Thinnest thin render option. (How to hide some blocks…)

As we can’t find anything like a close match brick wise, we are going to block our doorway up with 75mm blocks to give a 25mm set back from outer face of brickwork, then plan to put some wooden slats on for a vertical planter feature.

i was hoping to smooth out and paint blockwork before we put slats on, so it doesn’t look like we’ve screwed wooden slats to a concrete block…

what is the absolute thinnest option for of render? Is there any way to keep it a few mm thick only, to retain the reveal?

24 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

If you use one of the EWI base-coats I suspect you'd get away with 5mm. Of course you'd want to paint it, or it'll look grey - like concrete blocks.

yeah was thinking of painting it to match the houses around us, make it look sort of intentional rather than like we’ve just blocked up a doorway and we’re unable to find bricks…

cheers I’ll have a look at EWI

To clarify I am talking about the render as used with EWI, not about the EWI itself - no space for that. I think if it were me I'd do 2 thin toothed-trowel coats with glass-fibre/acrylic mesh between, to reduce the risk of cracking. Although, come to think of it, are you suggesting blocks with no insulation?

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

To clarify I am talking about the render as used with EWI, not about the EWI itself - no space for that. I think if it were me I'd do 2 thin toothed-trowel coats with glass-fibre/acrylic mesh between, to reduce the risk of cracking. Although, come to think of it, are you suggesting blocks with no insulation?

Yes just 75mm blocks without insulation. Rest of the place is full fill cavity so there will be insulation the other side of the blocks, the hope it to purely get a recessed "panel" effect so it looks planned, rather than to cover up the fact you simply can't get bricks to match. 

The alternative is to fully render the rear elevation and I'm really not wanting to do that!

On 20/07/2024 at 11:40, Redbeard said:

If you use one of the EWI base-coats I suspect you'd get away with 5mm. Of course you'd want to paint it, or it'll look grey - like concrete blocks.

Had a chat with EWI today, they said primer, two layers of their base-coat applied with toothed-trowl, acrylic mesh between, I could go as low as 4mm total and it would be absolutely fine. It's like they read your comment! Cheers for putting me on the right path there @Redbeard much appreciated.