Astronomical electricity supply quote

Hi,

Currently at timber frame stage of a self build in Argyll. I asked Scottish Power Networks for a quote to supply a grid connection and they have come back with what I would consider to be a totally astronomical quote of £17k. My next door neighbour built on the adjacent plot around 5 years ago and he paid £3.5k (and states that the cabling duct is about 20 feet from my plot entrance. When I queried this with SPEN they came back and said that there is no capacity on this to splice into and that I have to have a supply from further up the road (around 70 metres away) hence the high price. They have stated that a large proportion of this cost is the digging up of the road but it is a single track road with trenches either side of it so I am at a loss as to why this should be so high. Has anyone got any advice as to how I can appeal this? Also SPEN have stated that I can use an different contractor for this part of the work (which drops their price to £1.6k) but that they must be an approved contractor...... Again any advice as to how I would go about this and whether it would be worth doing would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Local knowledge is essential 

Avoid digging the road.

Who owns the land off the road.? Probably Lord something, but the estate factor may be approachable.

A local groundworker may know the dodges, as well as being able to lay it.

It is  just a cable. They have to do the 2 ends. You do 70m in one length at the right depth etc.

Read the small print again. An approved contractor must do it, or is preferred? 

• Like 1