White Haus (timber frames from the passive purple people)

Has anyone used White Haus (https://white-haus.com/) for their timber frame? They are one of the front runners for our passive house project and we were looking for feedback from anyone that might have used them / considered them.

They seem to be one of the lesser known timber frame suppliers and are part of the Intelligent Membrane / Passive Purple group of companies.

4 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

I emailed them twice about our project. Never heard anything back. So 🤷

I wanted passive purple for our house, tried calling, email everything, radio silence, never returned emails, messages left with reception. Hope they are better now.

Not ideal! 

Our architects emailed them around the time we got planning and they gave us an estimate and seemed reasonably responsive then. We're now at the stage of getting more serious and working out the finer details with the front runners.  

11 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Or do a stick build?

I'm pretty committed to getting a panelised system from an experienced passive house supplier. There are no experienced passive house builders near me, and I don't have a relationship with a building company who are committed to getting into passive houses / getting it right, so I see a panelised system as a lower risk option.

We self built our current house and despite using a 'good' local builder, I've been disappointed with the thermal result (air tightness / thermal bridges). This has definitely influenced my decision for our next project.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2024 at 09:42, WisteriaMews said:

I'm pretty committed to getting a panelised system from an experienced passive house supplier. There are no experienced passive house builders near me, and I don't have a relationship with a building company who are committed to getting into passive houses / getting it right, so I see a panelised system as a lower risk option.

We self built our current house and despite using a 'good' local builder, I've been disappointed with the thermal result (air tightness / thermal bridges). This has definitely influenced my decision for our next project.

hi have you got any further with this ? By the way what area are you in ? 

38 minutes ago, Nic said:

hi have you got any further with this ? By the way what area are you in ? 

Not much further forward, currently waiting for the structural engineer to finish a few pieces before we can fully engage a timber frame suppliers.

We're in London.

2 hours ago, WisteriaMews said:

Not much further forward, currently waiting for the structural engineer to finish a few pieces before we can fully engage a timber frame suppliers.

We're in London.

Have you engaged a PH consultant?

Ah, ours aren’t.  

I got the impression that there are passive house consultants who do their bit (design audits/certification/etc) alongside an architect and I’m thinking about having a chat with one.  I strongly suspect passive house certification is not financially sensible for us but I’m also working on the assumption that passivehouse design thinking may be partly applicable and may improve our design, so I’m keen to explore that. 

Is anyone on here working with such a consultant?

6 hours ago, G and J said:

Ah, ours aren’t.  

I got the impression that there are passive house consultants who do their bit (design audits/certification/etc) alongside an architect and I’m thinking about having a chat with one.  I strongly suspect passive house certification is not financially sensible for us but I’m also working on the assumption that passivehouse design thinking may be partly applicable and may improve our design, so I’m keen to explore that. 

Is anyone on here working with such a consultant?

I’m in the same boat, and building locally to you. My architect has one person with PHPP knowledge but not they have not been involved in the planning stage of my design. Need that input now though.