Thermal store issues

Hi,

Haven't been on here for a very long time as our renovation got completed around 8 years ago, I think I was actually more active on the old forum and everything transitioned over to here during the latter stages of our renovation.

Anyway the reason I am here is I appear to have an issue with my thermal store.

Typically I am working away from home so I'm remotely trying to help the wife and get a plumber sorted.

Our setup is a 300L TSS store which is fed direct from a Megaflo32ERP system boiler.  Only CH tied into the system is UFH which we have throughout.  I have attached drawing of my store (which is exactly how it is built but drawing is missing the pocket for thermostat).

Anyway the problem I have is that my boiler has lost pressure and when going to check my wife noticed water round the bottom of the store.  It looks like the drain valve on the store is leaking (see pic 1) and when I asked her to try and close the drain valve a bit more she said it started to leak along the stem of the valve.  So I suspect I possibly have a drain valve that will need replacing.

My main question is if the valve doesn't need replacing and can be reseated so it doesn't leak do I need to check the water level in the store as I have obviously lost some water?

Not sure if the store will be topped up by flow from boiler or if I will need to check the level and if so how?

Many thanks for any help.

1.jpeg

TS.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this thread by accident but here goes...

On 04/06/2024 at 11:59, sphannaby said:

My main question is if the valve doesn't need replacing and can be reseated so it doesn't leak do I need to check the water level in the store as I have obviously lost some water?

On 04/06/2024 at 11:59, sphannaby said:

my boiler has lost pressure

So as you have a pressurised primary side, unless the pressure has dropped to zero the volume will have been made up by the expansion vessel and you will not have got any air in.

Then the only thing you need to do is open the "1 in Vent" at the top and see if water comes out. If yes all good, if no then open the valves on the filling loop until air stops coming out of the vent, close it, wait for system pressure to reach your chosen target, close filling valves.

If you have any automatic bleed valves open those too, any air may have accumulated at their locations.

Depending on the type of drain valve the design may not have a seal on the stem anyway. Where simply tightening it further does not work it might be worth backing it off slightly so it leaks a bit then re-tightening, might get it to seal better.