Acoustic enclosure for ASHP

OK. I was trying to keep the explanation simple as OP had not heard of R290. Yes I am planning on getting one fitted, that is mainly bc the tall thin form factor is better suited to my site not the refrigerant.

As you point out the OP should begin with a heat loss calculation. 55m^2 new build should require only the smallest of HPs though.

So I am surprised this would cause any real noise problem at 4.5m. As an example the Vaillant 3 or 5kW emits 54 dBA sound power @ 55C flow, which translates to 32 dBA at 5m distance. These figures probably comply using  MCS methodology (they are 6dB lower that my proposed 12kW which would require only a 5 dB partial screen at a very similar distance).

But the planners have said what they have said.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sharpener said:

For clarification is this a bungalow? If not how is the upstairs heated?

R290 (propane) is the latest refrigerant gas which some HPs use, it is more efficient but inflammable so there are restrictions on putting them near doors and windows.

55m^2 is quite small hence you will not need a twin-fan unit. So it will probably be lower than the window sill, which is OK (since propane is heavier than air) unless it is actually a doorway or there are open drains nearby. Plenty of good HPs about that are still using R32 which is non-flammable so does not have this issue.

Not a bungalow... the house will be built passive and have MRHV to assist in keeping upstairs at a reasonable temp. we are on the coast in Exmouth so not going to be using any extra heating for upstairs we much pre a cooler upstairs anyways 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nic said:

The neighbours closest window is ground floor the other side of our driveway so about 4.5m from where the ASHP is shown 

I haven’t chosen an ASHP yet so not sure on size 

Ok so I'm thinking it's possible that you can't comply with the planners requirements without blocking your driveway.  Screen on neighbours side of your driveway probably too high, screen on your side of driveway too close to ashp, screen in middle of driveway just right but not practical.  Accoustic enclosure doesn't actually meet the condition you have quoted because it has air gaps.  Am I right?

If so your choices are

Go for an accoustic enclosure (you will want to get quotes and be sitting down when you read them) and seek a variation to the condition 

Relocate and seek a variation to the consent 

Make it so it confirms to pd rules

You need to decide which of these before taking it further.

Is the consent granted already or is it just that the planners have told you what they will require once consent is granted

Edited by JamesPa
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sharpener said:

OK. I was trying to keep the explanation simple as OP had not heard of R290. Yes I am planning on getting one fitted, that is mainly bc the tall thin form factor is better suited to my site not the refrigerant.

As you point out the OP should begin with a heat loss calculation. 55m^2 new build should require only the smallest of HPs though.

So I am surprised this would cause any real noise problem at 4.5m. As an example the Vaillant 3 or 5kW emits 54 dBA sound power @ 55C flow, which translates to 32 dBA at 5m distance. These figures probably comply using  MCS methodology (they are 6dB lower that my proposed 12kW which would require only a 5 dB partial screen at a very similar distance).

But the planners have said what they have said.

Yes indeed the planners have said what they said... but seriously this plan had to go back through the planning process because I wanted to move a door and a vellum ( condition meant I couldn't do that on the first plan which had already been APPROVED with the ashp in situ!!!!)

I then pointed out to the architect that we have no escape windows on first floor and although planners never mentioned that and had approved without , we put them in on this application as building regs would never let that slide and would cause issues down the line. so a bit annoyed they are now being very picky 

3 minutes ago, JamesPa said:

Ok so I'm thinking it's possible that you can't comply with the planners requirements without blocking your driveway.  Screen on neighbours side of your driveway probably too high, screen on your side of driveway too close to ashp, screen in middle of driveway just right but not practical.  Accoustic enclosure doesn't actually meet the condition you have quoted because it has air gaps.  Am I right?

If so your choices are

Go for an accoustic enclosure (you will want to get quotes and be sitting down when you read them) and seek a variation to the condition 

Relocate and seek a variation to the consent 

Make it so it confirms to pd rules

You need to decide which of these before taking it further.

Is the consent granted already or is it just that the planners have told you what they will require once consent is granted

as my last reply ..... I think moving it is the easiest option