New electric supply

Hi

We have purchased a plot with an electric pole in the garden. We will want to install an electric supply at some point, but I'm a bit bamboozled by the potential options; as I see it, they are (feel free to add any I've missed):

• Install a temporary supply for the build, remove it, and install a permanent supply in the house.
  • Install a supply for the builders in the garden, but make it robust enough (maybe brick built with a roof) and then run a supply from the meter to the house when the time comes.
  • Use a generator during the build and install the electric into the house in one move.

I have started talking to National Grid about prices, and they seem pretty steep. The old bungalow on the plot had an existing power supply, National Grid wanted to charge me nearly £1200 to remove the wire from the pole to the bungalow (8 metres). Luckily, we had a storm, a tree blew down, snagged the wire, and National Grid removed the connection for free :).

We are building a timber frame house which will be "wind and watertight" within 3 weeks.

What have other people done, or if you could do it again, what would you do?

Also, can the "permanent" supply be put into the house as soon as it is "wind and watertight"?

Thanks

Ian

Posted (edited)

>>> Install a supply for the builders in the garden, but make it robust enough (maybe brick built with a roof) and then run a supply from the meter to the house when the time comes.

You can do any of the 3 you mentioned. I'm going for your 2nd option but into a GRP kiosk (see the forum for example). That way you only need the expensive DNO out once. You need a bit of extra room for that obviously.

Re your 3rd option. It seems the tools most subbies use these days are battery ones - so it may only be a few big tools, temporary lighting etc that you'll be powering anyway.

>>> Also, can the "permanent" supply be put into the house as soon as it is "wind and watertight"?

Yes, in fact it'll be installed into an enclosure on one of your outside walls. For that, you only need the bit of wall it'll be permanently installed into. From memory, you need to install the enclosure. Then you call a supplier to install a meter. Then it's your task to have it wired further from there - as and when you're ready.

And yes, the DNO prices are steep. Some of the work you can organise yourself, that is the 'contestable' stuff - but that's why you might want to have the DNO do the minimum work.

Edited by Alan Ambrose
  • Thanks 1