Which builder to choose?

We've had two quotes in and are waiting for a third.  We're having an 18m2 rear extension built,  but the new pitched roof will also replace the flat roof on the 10m2 kitchen and having the kitchen replastered.  Lets say the equivalent of a 23m2 extension.   The two quotes so far are £25k and 48k.  One seems a bit steep and the other surprisingly cheap.

The work briefly comprises new footings, a brick wall to the side, 5m long bifolds at the rear and a pitched tiled roof.  Internally, wet plastered walls and painted.  Tiled floor, 9m2 of slabs outside.  We've asked them to redo the soffits on the house while they're here.  There's nothing particularly fancy or difficult.  How do you choose between radically different quotes?

All three were given architects drawings that specified materials.  All three did a site visit and I gave them the same information.

The expensive one wrote to us when we got planning permission.  The cheap one is called "affordable budget builder Ltd" and put a leaflet through the door.  The other was a recommendation from a neighbour.

Be aware of quotes that look too good to be true. They normally are too good to be true.

Also ask the architect who they like to work with, they are normally the ones that get on with job are zero hassle - that's what you want.

5m bi-folds, cheap will leak air like a sieve, so get specifics on what is being quoted and look at the item. Get whole window U value (Uw) if double glazed you want 1.4 U value or better.  If they give you Uvalue that is just the glass and not what you are looking for.

One of our quotes for windows, came with recommendations, we went to the showroom and half the opening mechanisms didn't function correctly (broken) and frames really bulky - we went elsewhere .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, smart51 said:

All three were given architects drawings that specified materials.  All three did a site visit and I gave them the same information.

The expensive one wrote to us when we got planning permission.  The cheap one is called "affordable budget builder Ltd" and put a leaflet through the door.  The other was a recommendation from a neighbour.

I'd be very wary of the budget option - but definitely ask if you can go and see any of their completed or current work. They should be happy to do so. Try and get some quotes from reputable bi-fold producers and see if they match up with what is being specced - easiest way to see if they're over/under by a considerable amount.

Edited by AppleDown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, smart51 said:

Can't find any search for." affordable budget builder Ltd. in your area that is trading. Could be £20 Limited Company.

Steer clear.

Builders quite often tout for your work on the back of the planning application's.

I'd like to see their last couple of job's and speak to the households if it went smoothly.

As mentioned above quality of the window's and the budget for them is a big factor in this build, and it needs to be right.

I'm very surprised your architects have not provided contact details of their preferred contractor's.

Edited by twice round the block
  • Like 1

The third builder was the one we were recommended by a neighbour.  His quote came in today at £62k.  He won't be getting the work.

The £48k quote was from https://probuild360.co.uk/ They are a big firm that run several jobs concurrently, so they said.  So their ground works team come in and do their thing, then the bricklayers, then the plasterers etc. 

The £25k people are https://theaffordablebuilder.co.uk/contact.html  £25k is suspiciously low.  The mid price quote might be the winner.

On 03/05/2024 at 16:40, twice round the block said:

Can't find any search for." affordable budget builder Ltd.

First hit companies house h dissolved in March 24.Screenshot_2024-05-04-20-10-06-55_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.785d8d16e429779a3f0cd4672843035d.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't trust that builder to lay my patio, I can only presume it's some old boy semi retired and dabbling around depending on his retirement funding.

Casual links to b&q on his website? Customer testimonial written for himself, by himself. Half the images being Google grabs?

..... Yikes!

• Like 1