Planning all penetrations, and methods

Norbert

I am keen to get all wall penetrations properly planned and executed. Reading through this forum and elsewhere there appear to be 2 approaches to managing wall penetrations.

1. Make a hole. Put the cable  through the membranes and insulation, carefully sealing around them internally and externally with EDPM grommets, tape, sealant etc.
  2. Install a plastic pipe big enough for the cabling, seal with a grommet. Later when doing the electrics put the cable through the pipe then make airtight with foam and or sealant. 

I like 2 better, it allows the insulation and VCL to be installed well ahead of the services, it is then a simple matter to seal everything up. Any advice or opinions on the above?

pipe and grommet.jpg

Edited by Norbert

I would go with a version of #2. 

I assume you are doing something like timber frame with blown insulation? 

Those grommets are hella dear. Use an offcut square of plywood instead of the membrane where ever you need a penetration. Drill a hole in the interior and exterior and push through the conduit. Have a slight slope towards the outside for drainage. Seal the ends with some airtight sealant. 

More robust and cheaper than grommets. 

Posted (edited)

Timber frame with 140 studs with PIR between, plus another 50 of PIR on top.

Yes the grommets are costly, but I am thinking I will need very few of them. However I can see that a plywood offcut would work too.

Edited by Norbert