Neighbouring planning

Last year a business property that backs on to our home was granted planning permission to tear down and old single story extension and build a new one in it’s place.

The new plans seemed reasonable, building a little bit further out than the old one to add about 15m2, but still about 4 to 5m from the boundary line, and using materials that would match the existing extension and surrounding buildings.

They recently completed the work and it was okay, despite some different and additional extraction / air-con units they hadn’t properly illustrated in the plans that were made available during the planning consultation period. But not different enough to make a big deal about.

However this week they’ve quickly built a second extension attached to the newly built one, extending it a further +4m to add another ~25m2, stopping about 50cm from the boundary.

The new one is marginally lower and slopes down to be under 3m at the boundary. Wall and roof materials are entirely different to their first new extension, and the surrounding properties.

I’m assuming that ending up with an extension this size was the plan all along, get planning permission for one thing, and tagging something else on using permitted development.

Have any rules been broken here?

Thanks in advance.

Potentially yes for several reasons , would be interesting to see if the original build what was submitted to planning has been signed off by BC, I would hazard a guess at yes,  then they have tagged the extra on hoping it would go unnoticed 

What size extension can I build without planning permission in 2024?

However, any rear extension classed as large (longer than 4m for detached or 3m for everyone else), needs prior approval which involves consulting your neighbours on the development. There are also height parameters. The extension needs to be less than 4m in height (or less than 3m if within 2m of a property boundary).

and

50% rule: extensions or outbuildings over and above the original house must not exceed 50% of the curtilage (the land around the original house) No higher than the highest part of the roof of the existing dwelling house (eaves or ridge)

however this is usually for residential purposes, as theirs is a business I am not sure how they stand, perhaps best to contact planning to ask the question.

Thanks both.

Given there's both changes the original application and new works not even hinted at on the planning application

I was going to contact planning enforcement, but i think i may also contact building control too.

The permitted development criteria are different for business premises. One of the criteria is that any PD extension should not be within 2m of a boundary. At 50cm it obviously is, so cannot be PD with all other things being equal. If this extension will have an impact on you then by all means contact both planning enforcement and BC.

• Like 2