PV, EV charger, DHW heater, Battery

I’m moving into a new (to me) house at the end of the month and one of the first things I’m going to need is an EV charger. I also intend installing PV as I have a largeish south facing roof. Plus I’ve been thinking about installing a battery too. 

My brother has 3 lots of solar PV installed at different times, then he installed a Zappi, then an Eddi and finally a Givenergy battery. The system has evolved rather than being specified holistically to begin with and he currently can’t do all of the things on my wish list so I’m thinking that it might be best to have it all installed at the same time with a clear spec given to an installer. 

I have single phase electrics and my wish list is:

7KW EV charger

As much solar PV as I can fit on the roof

A battery (13.5 kWh or thereabouts but maybe that’s overkill?)

Something to heat the DHW 

An app to control it all. 

I want to be able to choose whether to use the solar excess to charge the car, battery and heat DHW, or not, or whether to set to import from the grid at a time of my choosing. I don’t want the system to consider the EV charging as part of the general house load as I don’t really want to charge the car using the battery. I am planning to be on Octopus Agile so it may be better to export excess solar than use it to charge the car or heat DHW unless the Agile rates are off the scale on the odd day. Suggestions of set ups welcome please. I only really know about the MyEnergi products as my brother has them although he did not buy the Libbi when he added a battery recently due to cost. 

Photo of south facing roof 

IMG_0357.thumb.png.fa6ef280130c711f48d300f03d0faf08.png

• newhome changed the title to PV, EV charger, DHW heater, Battery

The panel layout will be interesting and there will almost certainly be shading issues. So, microinverters on all the panels (Enphase obvs). That's going to be a bit more expensive to start with but more reliable and cheaper in the long run.

Probably Victron to charge the battery and maybe  Fogstar for the battery. Eddi for the immersion and I believe that can cascade onto the Zappi.

Some thoughts to juggle with anyway.

• Thanks 1

We have PV GivEnergy all in one. If battery is full and I start to export this picked up by the PV diverter and that electric goes to the immersion. If I was to get an electric vehicle I would just get a GivEnergy charger, then you can control better how it all works together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Originaltwist said:

The panel layout will be interesting and there will almost certainly be shading issues. So, microinverters on all the panels (Enphase obvs). That's going to be a bit more expensive to start with but more reliable and cheaper in the long run.

Probably Victron to charge the battery and maybe  Fogstar for the battery. Eddi for the immersion and I believe that can cascade onto the Zappi.

Some thoughts to juggle with anyway.

Thanks. Yes my brother said I might need microinverters. Will have a look at the shading properly when I move in. 

2 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

We have PV GivEnergy all in one. If battery is full and I start to export this picked up by the PV diverter and that electric goes to the immersion. If I was to get an electric vehicle I would just get a GivEnergy charger, then you can control better how it all works together.

Can you use the excess solar with the GivEnergy charger?

Can you prevent charging the battery with the excess solar? I think I might prefer to charge it via the grid overnight if the export tariffs remain higher than the cheap overnight slots.