Building on existing foundations

Watts

Hi all,

I am planning to knock down an old bungalow and rebuild it. The footprint stays large the same with some extension to the rear. I was planning to get rid of the old foundation and lay a new one. However, the structural engineer thinks that the existing foundation is ok and there is no need to replace it. He says that one of the benefits of building on the existing foundation is that it would not be considered a new home and I would not need to pay for a 10-year new build warranty. 

I haven't decided yet if I am keeping the existing foundation or not. But if we dismiss the structural part, what are the pros and cons of building on existing foundations? Is it true that I will not need the 10-year new-build warranty? Are there any other consequences? 

First of all Why does he think you will need to pay for a 10 year warranty 

There's no requirement to have one 

In the grand scheme of things You won’t save much money by retaining the existing 

Rip everything out and start fresh, false economy to work around what you have.

if you kept the existing it would get blamed for everything that wasn’t right later on.

Embodied CO2 of the new concrete poured into foundations if you dig out what’s there.  
Will the new building be heavier or lighter than the old, would influence my thoughts.

Thanks for the replies. I most likely will get rand new foundation. But I still want to what are the pros and cons of keeping the old foundation from the non-structural point of view. Anyone knows about them?

13 hours ago, nod said:

First of all Why does he think you will need to pay for a 10 year warranty 

There's no requirement to have one 

In the grand scheme of things You won’t save much money by retaining the existing 

If the building is brand new you will not be able to mortgage it without a proper warranty or PCC. 

4 hours ago, markc said:

Rip everything out and start fresh, false economy to work around what you have.

if you kept the existing it would get blamed for everything that wasn’t right later on.

Agree, that is what I am planning to do. The existing foundation is around 50 years old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watts said:

If the building is brand new you will not be able to mortgage it without a proper warranty or PCC. 

No

you can get one retrospective 

If you need one 

I think building on old foundations will cause more of an issue