Corrosion on Pipe / Fittings

Hi Folks,

I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and further up flexi hoses for the kitchen taps.

I have a suspicion about what might be the cause... Given the humidity in the kitchen especially when running condensing tumble dryers etc, condensation might be forming on the fittings and dripping down / collecting on the small section of (now green) copper pipe. Although the corrosion is on the hot feed, the water runs cold for quite some time before getting hot as the pipes are buried within the floor.

Of course, this may also be an old leak that has sealed itself. It's not causing an issue now but perhaps something I should get my plumber to inspect. My view in any event is that I'd prefer a soldered joint / take off for the hot (ignore the blue handle) as opposed to a compression fitting that somebody has fitted.

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

Edited by steveoelliott

A small amount of oxidation, if no apparent leak (all looks dry in the picture) maybe caused from a little bit of condensation formed on the pipework at times with temperature fluctuations.

You get it at times if flux is not cleaned off, but in your picture won't be the case as a isolation valve. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stu w said:

A small amount of oxidation, if no apparent leak (all looks dry in the picture) maybe caused from a little bit of condensation formed on the pipework at times with temperature fluctuations.

You get it at times if flux is not cleaned off, but in your picture won't be the case as a isolation valve. 

Dry as a bone..