Hello from the mud.

Tony t

Hi, Tony here, I love in the mid of the Lincolnshire fens near Skegness. Hoping a bit of sun might dry the mud out a bit.

Although I've had my share of self build and renovations I'm now settled into my retirement (for now), my wife says I should not get involved in heavy work now, emphysema seems to have slowed me a bit.

I'm on here to learn a bit about air to water heat pumps. We took advantage of the offer for those with disability benefit, which my wife has.

We had oil heating, the boiler broke so it seemed a sensible time to take the offer of a totally free heart pump system including solar panels. It is the first time I've had professionals working on any of me previous homes, except where it was because to have some form of check and certificate.

The deal was not a quick bolt on, the whole central heating system was removed and new pipes and radiators fitted, so I'm hoping it will work well -so far it has.

The system was put in with no real setting up, so I am hoping to tune it for evidence and economy.

Samsung 8kw, 4kw solar, small 3 bed detached built in 1955, wall and thick loft insulation double glazed.

Hi Iceverge,

I had a pretty standard system with 18mm press from boiler dropping to 15 to radiators, but some of the 15 served two or more radiators.

The new system has 28 from boiler and as a spine running the length of the house,  from there 18 with 15 only on short distances and only one radiator. The radiators seem to be almost double the size! As it was the power companies paying for the scheme it makes a difference because I am really tight and try to do things on the cheap!

I do have some balancing to do with the radiators, the largest room is at the end of the pipework so I'll be playing with the flow to the other radiators.

I was a bit disappointed as I had fitted"designer"radiators in some places and had already added a few to the old system ( the previous owners had some storage heaters) and they fitted the'normal' ones.