Part O - Future Homes' Simplified Calculator Excel issue

Hello everyone. I'm trying to be as proactive as possible on our deign before we get any significant balls rolling after planning approval. We have initial drawings from our designer that have obviously been through planning. I don't believe he's taken much consideration on the Part O front though.

I'm using the Future Homes Excel calculator on the attached. But I'm getting an error when it's trying to calculate the 'Removal of excess heat' results - on the 'Results' tab, Row 25 and below. Is there something I'm obviously missing here? I've emailed the admin details for Future Homes but heard nothing back for over a week.

Thanks!

240123 - FHH Part O Simplified Method_FHH-SM-V2.xlsx

Thanks, I didn't know they had one, would have saved me some work...

Maybe you've found the problem already. There are two or three debugging strategies for spreadsheets (a) look through the input data and spot anything wrong or missing (maybe compare yours with a known working example), and/or (b) track back the calculation from the cell that's giving you problems to find the missing data (likely) or bad formula (less likely). There's a 'view dependencies' facility in Excel to help with that. Another method is to take a known working example and then replace with your own data bit by bit - keeping a good eye on the results to spot something going wrong the minute you enter that piece of data. Relax and try to be Zen! (i.e. don't let your annoyance/frustration stop you from spotting the problem), try to be intuitive and assume it's going to take you and hour or two to find the problem. Or, use a 'consultant' to do the initial set-up for you.

• Like 1

Hi @AppleDown

I have had a quick look at your spreadsheet.  I am Apple device so it opens in numbers this should not effect the following information though.

In the Window and Door data input, columns P and Q measured width and sash you have mixed up the measurements probably m and mm so you have an extremely small window. In the calculations table you should see some figures in the daytime equivalent area once you have change to mm

Changing this on my spreadsheet by some random numbers seems to fix the problem.

Good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susie said:

Hi @AppleDown

I have had a quick look at your spreadsheet.  I am Apple device so it opens in numbers this should not effect the following information though.

In the Window and Door data input, columns P and Q measured width and sash you have mixed up the measurements probably m and mm so you have an extremely small window. In the calculations table you should see some figures in the daytime equivalent area once you have change to mm

Changing this on my spreadsheet by some random numbers seems to fix the problem.

Good luck

Thank you! Will give it a try…

11 hours ago, Susie said:

@AppleDown how’s it going you’re welcome to ask anything else. 

I submitted my own spreadsheet and I’m happy to say LABC we’re apply with it. 

Thanks Susie - it worked. Need to pay more attention to the measurements used!

Now I have the problem of these two failing:

Removal of excess heat:
Total equivalent area ( % of floor area)

Total equivalent area ( % of glazed area)

Are these two indicating the size of the opening windows for cross flow, compared to the total size of the floor area and glazed areas?

It’s the amount of open window, free air as a percentage of the floor area.

and the same as a percentage of the glazed area.

all should be automatically completed

To understand how it changes, try adding a false window that opens fully ie a huge sliding door. 
have you looked at the Part O technical guidance should still be on the good homes alliance website or the future build I had a link in my other threads somewhere. 
has your architect discussed Part O with you or have they just left it for somebody else to dynamically model?

I got quite annoyed at mine for getting through planning without considering part O. 
we have parted company now as he did quite a few things wrong.