Lack of Hot Water

Hello. I’m looking for some help/advice regarding hot water with our heat pump: We had a Mitsubishi Ecodan 8.5kw ASHP installed a couple of weeks ago and whilst the heating is ok (not great) the quantity of hot water is very poor. The tank is a horizontal 250l and there are only 2 of us in the house. The water temp is 50 degrees. If my wife has a bath I’ll only get a couple of minutes of warm water before it’s too cold to shower. To get a hot shower I have to wait at least 45 minutes after she’s run a bath.

There is no way my wife’s used 250l of hot water.  Could we be doing something wrong with the settings? At the moment I’m regretting this decision to switch from an oil boiler.

IMG_5837.jpeg

I cant be sure, is this (red circle) the temp probe? if so its at the top of the tank and the water below that level will not be 50 deg?

cyl.thumb.png.93b3495d78fcaa51b5d2969031326092.png

The water temp is set to 50C but is it actually getting to 50C?  How long are you heating the water for, mine is set to 48C and takes an hour to heat back up after normal use from completely cold it takes just under 2 hours.

Do you have the Melcloud app for your ecodan that shows hot water temp here is mine from last night, showing it reaching 48C.

image.png.b1ab437d7d898b5becc1996788631c89.png

We have a vertical tank, 210L and I set my tank to 43 deg. no issues with Hot water.  

I would want to know in your situation where the temperature probe is.  Is this a Horizontal cylinder?  I cant seem to find a Mitsubishi ASHP horizontal cylinder?

1 hour ago, Jenki said:

I cant be sure, is this (red circle) the temp probe? if so its at the top of the tank and the water below that level will not be 50 deg?

As above, the probe needs to be in the bottom probe pocket. You are only heating about 50L in the tank 

2 hours ago, Jenki said:

Yes that’s the temp probe. The installers said this was the correct place to have it although I wasn’t convinced. I might try and put it in the bottom one to see if it helps. Thank you.

1 hour ago, AndyW78 said:

Yes that’s the temp probe. The installers said this was the correct place to have it although I wasn’t convinced. I might try and put it in the bottom one to see if it helps. Thank you.

If that's the probe that's controlling the hot water, which it probably is, it seems obvious that with it near the top youre only going to heat the very top of the tank. It's hard to understand their rationale for putting it there especially if you queried it!

If you've also got issues with the heating I'd be tempted to get some body competent in to check the whole installation over.