Very minor achievement

Garald

May be an image of book and indoors

Broke two 3mm drill bits putting it together.

While I am at it - here are two OpenSCAD sketches of possibilities for the street-side bookshelves in the non-technical part of my library. We'll see what the carpenter thinks.

No photo description available.

May be an image of speaker and credenza

Or perhaps open-topped bookcases are better? I'm having trouble finding examples of those I like.

• Like 1

Quite the opposite of minor. I say that because I sense your starting point was - Never-Done-This-Before-Lets-Give-It-A-Go

If thats correct,  the job took hours and hours more than you thought it would take (twice as long maybe ? )  The verticals are staggered - and so stronger, less likely to bend. (PS, the second design could be improved by staggering the verticals too)  You've realised that modular design is helpful - cuts down the number of cuts needed.

All the more creditable therefore. 

Ermm, I've got some spare MDF - could you build me some .......🫠

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Quite the opposite of minor. I say that because I sense your starting point was - Never-Done-This-Before-Lets-Give-It-A-Go

If thats correct,  the job took hours and hours more than you thought it would take (twice as long maybe ? )

Right. It should go much more smoothly in the future.

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

)  The verticals are staggered - and so stronger, less likely to bend. (PS, the second design could be improved by staggering the verticals too)  You've realised that modular design is helpful - cuts down the number of cuts needed

Well, both realizations (staggering + modular design) should be credited to the German company that sold me the boards and the screws. They basically told me as such, left it up to me to provide them with a design with measurements (I just sketched one by hand - now I now some OpenSCAD, though I don't yet know how to make the measurements show) and sent me the boards after, well, many more weeks than I expected.

I could stagger the verticals in the second design, but that would mean missing out on the possibility of installing a cremaillère en bois, no? Though let me see - perhaps something is possible.

• Like 1