Garage conversion before baby in April

OwenF

Hello everyone. Have posted a couple of times but thought I’d introduce myself after lurking for a while.

As per title, I am about 2 months proper into a garage conversion/ kitchen renovation that for some daft reason started with baby on the way in April!

The project: bought our house in 2021 and previous owner had ‘converted’ attached single garage into a den. It involved dot & dab PB (painted black) and a single 400x600 radiator for the uninsulated space. Oh and garage door replaced with patio doors and carpet straight on the slab.

C7981F81-E32B-4C4B-AFBF-B5E87AB82784.thumb.jpeg.ad3c6dcf040389e70bf0e1cb2a34f9cc.jpeg

We decided to do it proper and have Building Regs sign-off, which then quickly evolved into knocking through the cavity wall into existing kitchen and taking down internal stud into dining room, for a large open plan.

I’’m embarking on nearly everything myself, including electrics via Building Notice & BC inspection route (god help me). I’m aiming for good standard of insulation (IWI) and airtightness on new refurb elements. Services being upgraded at same time.

Recent success is replacement of a very dodgy cold rising main that had been plastered and painted over, with new manifold (will be within shallow depth cupboard in future utility).

24DDAA37-24EF-4E88-A873-AF71E4C7797D.thumb.jpeg.608c4c58a2f88e1f01a85c4bb5e7ef5e.jpeg

I’m very thankful to this forum for ideas and guidance so far!

I lost my dad 2 years ago shortly after we bought the house (I’m only 37). DIY is a deep interest we shared (from remote controlled cars, to woodwork and electronics) but I never got to share a project of this scale with him. I’m hoping sharing with strangers can be the next best thing.

• Like 1