SIPS - Minimal eaves (no soffit and no fascia)

Hello

We are planning to build with SIPS but do not want an eaves overhang. Our cladding is a mixture of stone, render and timber. We want the effect of the cladding meeting the slate roofline without any eaves detail. We don't want any fascia or soffits. When searching for standard details I can only find examples of regular eaves. I have attached a few sketches but would greatly appreciate any experience out there that has actually delivered this in practice.

Thanks

Roof Sketches.pdf

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you're still after some advice on this topic.

I design and engineer SIPS for different manufacturers and installers.

Most SIP systems out there come with the panels machine cut and pre-rebated for the so called end timbers (typically between 40 and 50mm wide) to be fitted to facilitate the connection between individual panels and between elements, e.g. walls and roof.

In your sketches you show one of the 2 OSB "skins" projecting. To achieve this would be considered non standard, and would probably require a manual cut and manual rebate of the panels, so, if at all possible, probably very time consuming and expensive to perform.

Nonetheless, your design intention is achievable by simply fixing a timber fillet to the end timber, or an end timber shaped like a fillet, rather than relying on the continuity of the OSB. On top of this fillet an OSB strip can be fixed to make the top all at a consistent level.

So, yes, I believe your details are achievable, but the individual elements of the SIPS would look slightly different.