SIPs floor and ground screws

idris

I have a SIP built Home Office in the very windy Northumberland, which is built in my back garden on screw piles (12 of them x 1.75 meters long).  They were installed in less than a day, before the Home Office was built.   It's not moved, or blown away including during Storm Arwin a couple of years ago which caused a lot of  damage throughout the region. 

• Like 3

It was a phone call, not a technical document, I had several other questions and, at this stage I wasn't that bothered about specifics.

There is no reason to assume that proper calcs haven't been done and adequate fixings aren't spec'd.

Perimeter/joining timbers is pretty standard (still called a subframe even though it’s not underneath. Tek or other screws through the timber and into the pile cap is  a cold bridge top to bottom, so sometimes deep counterbored holes are used but this is just extra work, hence the angle or U saddle brackets to prevent the cold bridge. You don’t put down the whole floor and then crawl under to fix it.

fix first frame timber to caps, drop in row of panels and next frame, fix to that row of pile caps and so on. This way you always work on the ground, easy access to pile caps you are fixing, no drilling down or guessing where caps are etc.

• Like 1